Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Wii on the wide screen

I just bought myself a 46 inch lcd. i was all excited to play all the "shooting" games from my wii on it, but its turned out to be terrible!! Is anyone else using a wide screen tv to play shooting games on the wii? is it working out fine for you? is there an adjustment i'm missing?

the problem is the "accuracy" of the sensor bar... even though i have the wii set to widescreen format, when the aiming curser is at the edge of the screen i'm actually aiming like 2 inches off the center of the screen, and about 4 inches up (or down when i have the sensor bar at the bottom of the tv) This makes shooting games all but impossible to play as i have to actually keep an eye on my curser rather than the action to make sure i'm not overshooting the mark.

................_______ (sensor bar)
.----------------------------.
|.*(curser on tv here)............|
|..............+ (aim here)..........| - (tv)
|........................................|
|........................................|
-----------------------------
..............._|_____|_..............

Funny thing is that it seems alot more accurate when i'm navigating the wii's menu.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 29, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The wii sucks for that kind of stuff. Have you tried different settings like the position of the sensor bar in the menu? Anyways the Wii looks terrible on my monitor but looks o.k. on a sd tv.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yeah, i set the wii from 4:3 to 16:9, but that didnt look like it did anything at all. also i set the sensor bar on the bottom of the tv and that just made it the same, but opposite. I'm really dissapointed in the tv so far, and i'm not sure if its the tv's fault... i mean i dont watch tv at all (not even a little bit) so all i have the tv for is dvds, wii the 360... the 360 looks great btw and my computer, the wii sux, an the tv drops the resolution down to a paltry 1024x768 on the computer... you ever seen that resolution on a 46 inch display?? HUGE. All in all i can say with all honesty that i'm less than impressed... i've spent hours messin around with this stupid thing... its so bad, i just had a buddy over and i dropped the flat screen on the floor in the corner and fired up the old 28 inch CRT television i had before so that we could play.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old March 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup the wii isn't good on a high def screen. 480p is way to low of a res.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 30, 2008, 05:56 AM
MVP
F@H

Try sending YouTube - jcl5m's Channel ths guy a message.

If anyone knows how to do it, he does.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old April 1, 2008, 02:12 PM
Rookie

Go into your Wii's system settings and adjust the wii-mote settings, that might help. I play my Wii on a 53" and haven't encountered your problem ever.
Old April 2, 2008, 07:34 AM
Top Prospect

You are not supposed to be pointing at the center of the screen and have the cursor on the center of the screen.

your eye and brain is supposed to make adjustments for it, thats how we program games for them, thats the way the hardware was designed.

Obviously some games do a better job of it than others but it'll never work so if you point it at an exact location on screen the cursor will be there.

In order to point at the center of the screen you must point at the center of the sensor bar, there is no if's ands or buts. The " is the sensor bar above or below " question just sets the orientation for movements off center, it does not compensate for how big your TV is.

you should always be " shooting from the hip " not aiming down the sights. I've played a few shooting games on the 40+ Plasma at work and it works just fine. I think your asking it to do something for which it was not designed.
CASE: NZXT Lexa Blackline PSU : OCZ Gamestream 700w
Old April 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

it was definatly the tv that was screwing my wii experience, fortunatly for me the 46" sharp i bought developed dead pixlitis and i had to take it back. I bought a 52" Samsung and the wii is working phenominally now. I understand there is going to be some difference as to where i'm aiming the gun and where the cursor is, but when i'm aiming 2 inches off of center and the curser is at the edge of the screen already it makes it EXTREEMLY hard to aim, considering there is only about a 4 inch box around center that i'm able to aim around.

Also i would like to point out that i most certainly do NOT have to be aiming at the sensor bar directly, i aim reletivly close to where the curser is on all the shooting games i have on my wii.

vista 64 on these rigs