Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2012, 12:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default The Legend of Grimrock

Didn't see a thread on this here, so I figured I'd start one. In short, I think it's an indie company putting out a fantastic game.

Anyways, for those of us who had the privilege of playing old school first person dungeon crawling RPGs like Dungeon Master, and subsequent successors like Might and Magic or Ultima Underworld, or Eye of the Beholder, developer Almost Human is released the Legend of Grimrock on the 11th of April. I can't wait. I'll be rushing home from work for sure to play this.

Yes, Elder Scrolls has sort of gone this path in a much more expansive world, but there's just something about revisiting what many people have spent countless hours playing.

Developer Website
Legend of Grimrock

Some game play footage

Gamespy Review
GameSpy: Legend of Grimrock Review - Page 1

I was personally on the fence, I mean how can such an old style of game have new life in a modern world? I was sold in the first minute of the video.

I mean, they even included an old school mode where it disables the automap and you have to personally track it yourself on gridpaper.

Based on the game play video, it looks like there will be future possibilities for expansions and player created campaigns, which I think only adds to the replayability. The mechanics of the game look simple, much like they did back in the 80's and 90's, but I think for any of us who played these types of games, it may just be what we are looking for since they have been gone for so long.

Last edited by ultraman7k; April 7, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old April 7, 2012, 01:55 AM
Rookie

Everyone keeps talking about that game but to be honest I think it's replayability might not be that great. I suppose if they do as you said and bring out content and whatnot on a regular basis it could be - but usually you'd just play those types of games once then move on to the next.
Old April 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, there is a lot of nostalgia involved for sure.
Old April 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I miss dungeon crawlers, picked this game out last weekend, going to buy a couple copies and game it up soon.
Old April 7, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can get it for $11.99 at gog.com

It is of course DRM free and has a bunch of extras included.

Old April 7, 2012, 06:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have added it my wishlist in Steam, although no price listed for it there yet.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old April 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you buy it off the dev's page, they email you a steam code for activation.
Old April 8, 2012, 08:31 AM
Allstar

Thanks for the heads up. I've always been a massive fan of first person dungeon crawlers and am really looking forward to this. The last one of this type I've played is Demise - Rise of the Ku'tan
DEMISE: Ascension and Rise of the Ku'tan

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old April 8, 2012, 10:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

No worries, apparently they added clickable mouse directions at the request of a disabled gamer who said it would make it easier for him to play.

Kudos to the developer for this.
Old April 17, 2012, 04:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have been enjoying this game a lot. It has a lot of re-playability. Doing it over with different characters, finding secret things you missed the first go round, etc. They are releasing a map and mod editor soon, so you will be able to download and play more dungeons etc. Its been doing very well it sounds like, so i would be surprised to see more official dungeons to come out.