Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I was beginning to think that too, but I don't see how it can be an account issue (on the website) when the javascript just doesn't seem to work it doesn't send the login form content to the server so how does it know what count? And everything about the account works fine in the client except the login. Frankly, I think Steam stink, IMHO anyway.

The bolded part is why we are saying it is an account issue. I still say the one other thing you must try is logging in from another location. Friends place, work, where ever, just not your place. See if it works then. If it doesn't then you can go back to Steam with the information that you have attempted to login on their website with multiple machines in multiple locations and if none work that proves that there is an issue with your account.

Old March 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
Allstar

Well, I installed Steam on the laptop and used dial-up and I still can't logon.

It recognized the account, sent me a code for the new machine to the right e-mail address. Even let me change the password - but it won't connect to the servers.

It does what it has been doing; about 5-10 seconds after clicking the logon button the client stops responding. Left for 30-40 minutes it apparently times out and gives the "Cannot connect to Steam ..." message.

I tried the website from the laptop as well. Can't login there either. If I enable the error console there are javascript errors all over their page so that may not be just me.
Old March 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm assuming that you have a different external IP when using that dialup?

If that is the case then take all of these findings and explain them to steam, as this is obviously a steam account issue. You have used different machines and a different external IP and to top it off, your friend can log in from the same machine. All of this points to one thing and one thing only, an account issue. Steam support should be able to recognize this after you present them with everything you have done. I would even suggest directing them to this thread so they can see everything done and suggested. Hopefully at that point they will figure out a way to help you out.

Old March 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
Allstar

Just an update. After indicating most of the above to Steam they wanted to know my type of connection, ISP, how many systems share the connection, etc.

The last request was that I try the system at another location/ISP connection. While this might seem reasonable to a sock footed support tech telecommuting from his spare bedroom office, I'm semi-disabled and dismantling a 20kg system and moving it elsewhere, setting it up, trying to run Steam then taking it all apart moving back home and setting it back up again is more than an "inconvenience" (their term).

Thoroughly disgusted.
Old March 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
Allstar

After indicating some of the above to Steam support they're next suggestion was to change some settings in the client to allow manual updateing of games.

Do this people read? Can they comprehend? AFter an entire month of trying to get this working they want me to change settings in the client when the problem has always been I CAN'T LOG INTO THE CLIENT!!!
Old March 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thing I think you need to get across to them is that this has nothing to do with the client. Since we know you have the same issue with not being able to log in on the web site that proves that the client is not the issue. Give them the link to this thread and tell them to read it. If they do that and have at least a shred of intelligence, then they will see that other people can log in from your machine, but you can not. This is on the website so that effectively removes the client from the equation.

As enaberif mentioned before, why not try to create a new steam account and login. This will show them that you can log in with another account from the same machine and that proves that it is the account and not the client.

Old May 6, 2012, 11:49 AM
Allstar

Well here we are, the 6th of May. I opened the ticket the 24th of Febraury and Steam are still covering old ground. Now their favorite culprit is ICS which I have never had enabled on any of my systems, or the router (despite several sessions where the router has not be used and the problem still exists.

In fact I have a good idea where the problem is but I'd lay odds Steam won't admit it if called on it. It was about 6 month prior to this I last used Steam and they changed their client in that time. I suspect they also altered the time out values for their client/server responses. I have a slow connection and given the amount of network traffic I see between the client and their servers they are connecting, I have to assume the server isn't waiting long enough for full handshake with the client.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
Allstar

Here we are again - finally heard back. Looks like they are going to try and blame my ISP now. Had me do a dslreports test which says 8% packet loss. I don't know how they calculated that sicne the charts below the sumamry added up to 4% but be that as it may.

It's odd that the only site affected seams to be Steam.

Anyway. the saga continues ...

I wish I knew a technews site that would have the guts take Steam to task for this kind of nonsense.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect

Off the top of my head, and forgive if you have covered this response already, but have you thought about making a new account in the meantime, at least to be able to play FEAR3 and other games you may own but are not activated.

Tags
fear , install , problem , steram