Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know you said you can log into the website, but just wondering have you tried logging into the client from another machine?

If not available then I am somewhat leaning towards the wipe and start fresh, though I hate even suggesting it since this should be working.

Old March 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Allstar

I can NOT log into the main website. nothing happens when clicking the login button (IE, Opera, FF, Safari - WinXP or Linux). If I use javascript diagnostics it reports javascript errors - yet a friend can log into their account without problems.

This is the only Win box I have (well I have one that still has Win98 on it but ... :) ); everything else is Linux, BSD, etc.

A wipe and reinstall of XP from scratch really isn't an option. I'd be an eternity just restoring all the accumualted updates. Besides it really shouldn't be encessary that a simple site interface (which is basically all it is) should require so much work and OS manipulation just to run (especially since it was running before).

What really bugs me is that it seems to talk to the Steam servers, (it updates, checks the account, responds properly to wrong passwords etc, but they just don't seem to proceed past the "ok yeah we see you" stage.
Old March 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Allstar

Just an update for those who are interested or have offered suggestions: Steam got em to try resetting winsock this time. Still no go. I think it's their client, they think it's windows. :(
Old March 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I think you can ignore the client. If you can't log into the main website then ignore all problems with the client as this issue is not with that, but with you logging in. Work on getting logged in on the main website. Once you can do that then you should attempt the client.

Can you log into the main site from one of your other boxes? Doesn't matter if it is linux, just give it a shot and if you can, then it is your windows box. If you can't then the only other thing I would try is another machine from any other location than yours, friends place, school, work, wherever. If you can NOT log in anywhere then it is their issue and you should be able to contact them and tell them you can't log into the main site from any machine. But again if you can from anything not on your network then that is where your issue lies, or if can log in from any machine except your windows one, then it is most definately a windows issue and not a steam one.

Of course now I look back at what you wrote and see that your friend can log into their account from there. This really does make me lean towards it being an issue with your steam account. I still suggest trying to log in from somewhere else, like your friends place.

Following all of that will let you narrow down the true issue and will also give you information to give to steam if it appears to be their end. By doing this and using multiple computers in multiple locations, will show them that it is your account with the issue and not your machine.

Hope some of that helps you out.

Old March 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
Allstar

I tried that. I can't log onto the website from Linux either. It's as if the login button is disabled. If you turn on debugging (using a plugin or IE,s built it) it indicated the page loaded but with errors. Apparently one of which affects the javascript controlling the button. This is of course the website only. The client is a different matter altogether.

As for a problem with the account, I can't see that as it recognizes the password, if I reinstall Steamguard even knows what e-mail address to send the authorization code for a "new computer" to, which it does. If I deliberately enter a wrong password it recognizes that immediately. Everything else except logging in proceeds normally. It seems only when it actually tries to login to the actual gaming servers is there a problem.
Old March 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

I don't know if I missed it but what browsers have you tried to login with? Have you tried anything other than IE? Firefox? Opera? Chrome?
Old March 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
Allstar

I seldom use IE but I even tried it.

Windows: IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari
Linux: Firefox, Opera, Konqueror
Old March 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I seldom use IE but I even tried it.

Windows: IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari
Linux: Firefox, Opera, Konqueror
Well the other option you have is allowing someone else you may trust to log into your account from a completely different area and see if it works.

Like a family member?

Other option is to use a bootable disc like Ubuntu or Hirens

Honestly at this point it does sound like you have an account issue.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
Allstar

I was beginning to think that too, but I don't see how it can be an account issue (on the website) when the javascript just doesn't seem to work it doesn't send the login form content to the server so how does it know what count? And everything about the account works fine in the client except the login. Frankly, I think Steam stink, IMHO anyway.
Old March 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I was beginning to think that too, but I don't see how it can be an account issue (on the website) when the javascript just doesn't seem to work it doesn't send the login form content to the server so how does it know what count? And everything about the account works fine in the client except the login. Frankly, I think Steam stink, IMHO anyway.
By trying the account on a completely different system on a different IP on a different OS it gets rid of a lot of variables.

Have you tried to create another account with Steam to see if the problem persists?

Oh and steam is a great platform and works well. Just like anything else out there the odd time a person is going to have an issue.

Tags
fear , install , problem , steram