Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2014, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spblue View Post
The problem with an iron man impossible game, is that without time units and the one-action-per-turn rule, the random factor is too high to compensate for. Even with the most perfect play, with the best strategy possible, it's almost certain that you'll lose the game anwyay due to a few bad rolls.

With the old X-COM, you could play very conservatively and win most missions, even if you limited yourself to iron man. Sure, there were unavoidable losses, but with perfect strategy you'd eventually overcome.

The best game I had on impossible iron man (I was up to heavy plasma) ended with a single freak accident : my assault got close to a Chrysalis and missed both shots at point blank (98% chance). Lost the whole team and I never could recover with all rookies at that stage of the game.

I still think that time units would have made the game a lot better, and it would have had as much or more success if they had kept it that way.
Yes and no.
You see one of the cool things the new DLC adds is a chance to do some random rolls for special abilities.
I have a support character with Halo - Targeting, +2 Pistol Damage, and all cover counts as full. She's a regular Dirty Harry with her plasma pistol. And she can shoot twice so long as she doesn't move, combined with Rapid fire (So 2 shots, twice). Amazing little things.

And, you shouldn't have one Mod squad and one batch of rookies. You always need to cycle in other troops to get them training too. Check out some of the guides out there, there is always a way.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 26, 2014, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Howdy everyone! I'm still playing Enemy Within pretty regular.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old January 26, 2014, 11:17 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've discovered that game about 2 weeks ago.

Where are my evenings? Damn. Good. Game.
Old January 26, 2014, 11:51 AM
Allstar

I just fired up the game for the first time last night! Is Enemy Within a separate game or weaved into the original? I got an option box when loading the game so I just picked Enemy Unknown first.
Old January 27, 2014, 03:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I just fired up the game for the first time last night! Is Enemy Within a separate game or weaved into the original? I got an option box when loading the game so I just picked Enemy Unknown first.
I believe that on PC it is DLC and on consoles it is a stand alone game (includes Enemy Unknown).

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old January 27, 2014, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I found that after I upgraded everything did all the objectives etc it got pretty boring really fast. /Shrug