Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A question guys. I bought the normal edition on Steam after the game was released, and so I didn't get the Elite Solider Pack dlc. Normally I wouldn't care but in this game the custom armor color function is disabled unless you have the pre-order DLC. I've managed to hunt down a "Special Edition" at EB, but I'm not sure if it's a pre-ordered copy or not. The rep at the store says that it does include the DLC, but I'm wondering if it was actually say that on the box itself or not?

Thanks!!!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old October 15, 2012, 07:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
I'm struggling to even like this game at all. I force myself to sit down and play but I have this critical thought process that keeps me from enjoying this game on it's own merits without constantly comparing it to the original. At every pillar that this game is standing on I see how this "reimagining" dumbs the game down and/or dosn't even try to improve, streamline or even include game elements from the original. I'm constantly seeing where control/Interface decisions were obviously made to accomidate console controls and hardware limitations. I played through the original twice in the month before the release of this and just couldn't pull my self away from it, now this comes out and I feel dreary and meloncoly and have to force myself to sit and play a pale hollow reproduction of a truly great game. I know this is a good game and I'll keep plugging away at it but it's a chore.
Just curious exactly what decisions you're talking about. Can you give some specific examples?

I loved the original, it's in my top 3 games ever released, and I'm super happy with how this new one plays. It's pretty much everything I could have wanted from a remake.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here's a little shot of my game. I've had to restart several times. I left australia on the backburner for too long and I assualted the alien base right afterwards. If I knew assaulting alien base would drop the panic like that I would have earlier. Oh well next time. It seems after the alien base assault the panic doesn't get out of hand at all.

and one just for funsies

Old October 16, 2012, 06:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think my classic iron man game is getting close to an end.
All troops equipped with plasma & the highest tier armour, firestorms with plasma / EMP in all hangers.
Nothing much left to research.
6 countries have left the project, but that was early on & I haven't lost one in 4-5 months now.

Sectopods are about the only enemy that gives me any problems, everything else pretty much gets 1-shot by my colonel sniper.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like I still have a long ways to go. I just now finished building my psionic lab. I am playing on Normal Ironman as I am a newbie to XCOM. I was having quite a bit of trouble until this most recent re start but I think I have a general grasp of the game now. I'm really glad I played in Ironman because it has made me refine my play style and strategy instead of just save/restart advancing the whole way through.

My first couple attempts I was using dash way too much and not using overwatch nearly enough. Now I got the hang of leapfrogging and advancing slowly and cautiously.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Classic Iron Man Victory!

imgur: the simple image sharer
Old October 18, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Congrats.You are bad ass sir!
Old October 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I got my ass kicked last night at the Alien Base, for around 10 turns I just had a Sniper and he was able to take out about 5 guys on his own, until he died. I have also lost 4 Countries from XCom funding, may have to restart.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
I got my ass kicked last night at the Alien Base, for around 10 turns I just had a Sniper and he was able to take out about 5 guys on his own, until he died. I have also lost 4 Countries from XCom funding, may have to restart.
Classic or normal? Normal is FAR more forgiving on the geoscape side of things.

General pointers from my classic run that will definitely work in normal:

1) Engineers are vital! If you get offered them as a mission reward, take them. Only exception being if it's near the end of the month and you'll lose a country if you don't respond to their abductions.

2) Satellites satellites satellites! Next most important thing to engineers. Build an uplink asap and some more power generation to support more uplinks. You can manufacture more satellites than you can currently support, which is handy considering they take 20 days to build. Always try to have a couple on hand that you can deploy right before the end of the month as they will not only reduce panic, but will also get you more cash.

3) Tech towards either lasers or new armour once your satellite coverage is sorted. I went with lasers, but really you can't go wrong with either.

4) Don't just have one "A" team and a bunch of rookies. When you get easy missions (small scout UFO's, easy abductions, council missions) take 1-2 vets and a bunch of rookies. Get them some combat experience so that when (not if, WHEN) your "A" team takes casualties, you'll have people that can step in and not be completely useless.

5) Sniper with squadsight is OP, especially once you get archangel armour & a plasma rifle. Of the 450-odd kills in my playthrough, two snipers accounted for about 150 of them.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for all the tips, my main error was not building enough Satellites at the start, I had no idea they were so important.

I am just playing on the default setting which is Normal I believe.

If I do restart I might just try Classic anyway.