Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never heard of the XCOM before, but I watched the stuff on the steam store page and I got very very intrigued. Sounds like a game that is outside of my usual area that I will pick up. Although, since I don't have the hype of being an old XCOM fan, I'll wait 2-3 weeks to make sure there is no surprise sale right after it gets the bulk of sales done. My only issues the "cinematic" killing of aliens probably becomes an even you want to skip the more you play the game as I'm sure it will sometimes be repetitive.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've had to re start 3 times now. I am been playing on Normal Ironman mode (so fun because hey it's the first game in 15 years that poses a challenge. Sad that the challenge is optional. I haven't 'lost a game' in who knows how long. THey definitely aren't made like that anymore.

Every time I encounter Crysalids for the first time I get absolutely annihilated and lost my high ranking officers.

Such an awesome game.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tough & fun! The perks can really make for a different type of soldier and there are always hard research and build choices too.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 10, 2012, 08:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My first attempt at Classic Ironman went down in flames last night.
Started off well: Zero casualties in the first four missions, but quickly went down hill from there & ended up collapsing in June.
Screw you and your 11 dmg crit against targets in high cover you stupid mutons!

I just wish there was a difficulty level between normal and classic. Normal is way too easy, but classic is slap you down, kick you in the nuts & steal your lunch money, then kick you in the nuts again just for good measure difficult.

Ah well, Xcom will be reborn and will conquer.
Or at least, hopefully make it past June next time.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Purchased this last night, my first ever XCOM game, playing on Normal and enjoying it alot so far.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on assaulting the alien base?
Old October 11, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Does anyone know if there's a time limit on assaulting the alien base?
It doesn't appear so. I've left mine unchecked for a couple turns now. I wanted a couple more upgrades before I do that since I'm playing on Ironman and I don't want to blow it.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never played an XCOM game before but I picked this one up and haven't been able to put it down! I've been using a 360 controller which works absolutely wonderfully with this game. I've been playing on normal, since as I've said it's my first XCOM game, but even on normal it took me a little over 2 HOURS to beat the Alien Base since I kept reloading due to me not wanting to lose my KIA's. I eventually started saving after every turn :P Can't imagine how this would be playing Classic Ironman mode. Awesome game though.

"We'll be watching you Commander."
Old October 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lost my first game due to the Council cutting all funding. Too little, too late. Here we go again!

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm struggling to even like this game at all. I force myself to sit down and play but I have this critical thought process that keeps me from enjoying this game on it's own merits without constantly comparing it to the original. At every pillar that this game is standing on I see how this "reimagining" dumbs the game down and/or dosn't even try to improve, streamline or even include game elements from the original. I'm constantly seeing where control/Interface decisions were obviously made to accomidate console controls and hardware limitations. I played through the original twice in the month before the release of this and just couldn't pull my self away from it, now this comes out and I feel dreary and meloncoly and have to force myself to sit and play a pale hollow reproduction of a truly great game. I know this is a good game and I'll keep plugging away at it but it's a chore.