Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard the only way to save him is if you didn't destroy the collectors base in the 2nd game.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I've heard the only way to save him is if you didn't destroy the collectors base in the 2nd game.
After doing some searching it looks like "saving him" only refers to preventing the Illusive Man from killing him, apparently he always dies, the right choice only lets you have a little last scene with him before he dies from his previous wounds.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
After doing some searching it looks like "saving him" only refers to preventing the Illusive Man from killing him, apparently he always dies, the right choice only lets you have a little last scene with him before he dies from his previous wounds.
That's not really saving him you bastards, that letting him dying slower!
Old August 10, 2012, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My thoughts on the game without the EC DLC applied.

1) ME3 is considerably shorter in terms of the number of "boots on the ground" side-quests & companion missions. Not only that, but the quality of side quests have also dropped considerably. There are maybe 2-3 such quests in ME3 that I'd consider quality-made.
2) I personally didn't like how the story was set up and continued from ME2. Seemed a bit hurried & haphazardly done. But that's personal taste.
3) The ending. Well, I personally found it hard to believe that Shepard, after having spent the previous games fighting against people who thought they could control or cooperate with the Reapers, to suddenly and quite hurriedly agreeing with the creator of the Reapers. I really felt that the writers wrote themselves into a corner towards the end and had no choice but to allow Shepard to agree with the star child.
4) This game is definitely more action than RPG, even more so than the previous two. As much as I enjoyed CoD, I can't but feel a bit sad to see developers molding their games to fit the CoD crowd.
5) You can argue that the entire ME3 is an ending in and of itself, but realistically, none of my choices truly mattered in the end. Maybe I expected too much, and maybe I was wrong to believe the advertisements.

Ultimately, if the developers haven't spent so much time & effort stressing that our choices would matter and that we would not be getting A-B-C endings, than I wouldn't have felt as disappointed as I do. After all, it is their game and they can end it however they want. But the fact that they've made so many promises to us about this game yet ultimately failed to fulfill them, makes me feel that I have some grounds for complaint.

And it's not hard to feel cheated by EA, too. Their ultimate goal here is to milk the franchise as much as possible. They introduced MP so that they could make money off of people willing to pay for in-game items. They even made MP integral to the single player campaign so as to force more people to play MP. And while all MP DLCs to date have been free, I really feel that was due to the outcry regarding the ending. It's also not hard to imagine that the shortness of the main campaign is an attempt to prep room for future SP DLCs, the first of which, the paid-DLC Leviathen, is about to be released.

You can almost argue that EA developed a sub-par and possibly unfinished game just so that they can extend the life of the franchise by releasing DLCs that will eventually complete the game.
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock

Last edited by sakage.shinga; August 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakage.shinga View Post
My thoughts on the game without the EC DLC applied.

1) ME3 is considerably shorter in terms of the number of "boots on the ground" side-quests & companion missions. Not only that, but the quality of side quests have also dropped considerably. There are maybe 2-3 such quests in ME3 that I'd consider quality-made.
It is much shorter, I agree. Although I must say that two of the main quests were absolutely epic in my opinion (if you play paragon); curing the genophage and 'reuniting' the geth and the quarians. At the end of both of those missions I was like "wow, that was great!" - that was a way to properly wrap some things up, wish the game as a whole was wrapped up like that!

Quote:
2) I personally didn't like how the story was set up and continued from ME2. Seemed a bit hurried & haphazardly done. But that's personal taste.
I agree! Seemed like there was barely any tie in with ME2. They could have done so much more with the illusive man - perhaps had him try to lure sheppard over to his side a few times early in the game, it would really make a difference in the "control" ending if that was your goal earlier in the game (maybe a renegade play through option).

Quote:
3) The ending. Well, I personally found it hard to believe that Shepard, after having spent the previous games fighting against people who thought they could control or cooperate with the Reapers, to suddenly and quite hurriedly agreeing with the creator of the Reapers. I really felt that the writers wrote themselves into a corner towards the end and had no choice but to allow Shepard to agree with the star child.
Where did Shepard have to agree with the star child? But I do agree that the ending was hard to believe and seemed to come out of left field. After all was said and done with the whole series, to finally have your choices given to you by this representation of the reaper creators - kind of a let down.

Quote:
4) This game is definitely more action than RPG, even more so than the previous two. As much as I enjoyed CoD, I can't but feel a bit sad to see developers molding their games to fit the CoD crowd.
Agreed again.

Quote:
5) You can argue that the entire ME3 is an ending in and of itself, but realistically, none of my choices truly mattered in the end. Maybe I expected too much, and maybe I was wrong to believe the advertisements.

Ultimately, if the developers haven't spent so much time & effort stressing that our choices would matter and that we would not be getting A-B-C endings, than I wouldn't have felt as disappointed as I do. After all, it is their game and they can end it however they want. But the fact that they've made so many promises to us about this game yet ultimately failed to fulfill them, makes me feel that I have some grounds for complaint.
This is where it really hurts us gamers and fans of the series. You are absolutely right, and this is why there is a group contemplating a class action law suit - because none of our choices in all the series really had any affect on the ending! You could have made completely opposite choices from someone else the whole series through and still got the same ending sequence! The ending is all decided right at the end with the star child! And to top it all off, in order to have the "best ending" you needed to play multiplayer too! How is that a choice through the whole series that affected the outcome?!?

Overall I still enjoyed the game, I really enjoyed the genophage and geth/quarian missions, but was disappointed none the less by the ending. Maybe if EA and the developers feel enough public pressure perhaps they will keep making lots of dlc content to try and make up for it, and yes to help line their pockets a little more.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

double post, oh noes!!

I'm in the middle of leviathan expansion pack. So far it's not bad. Nice to be picking this up again. Love playing as a vanguard - charge, heavy melee, shotgun!