Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2012, 09:23 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Mass Effect 3 'Extended Cut' DLC free this summer, offers 'further clarity to the ending' | Joystiq

That should make people happy and stop the whining about the ending
Have to read the fine print there. BioWare is happy with their (introduced in the last minutes) god-child ending. They've been trying to 'clarify' with hype for the last couple of weeks and the plot holes still don't make any sense (to me).

Here's two well thought out discourses on the ME series and the duct taped ending:

Mass Effect, Tolkien, and Your Bullshit Artistic Process – doyce testerman

Video about 38 minutes, He says it doesn't need clarity, it needs a new ending at the same level of quality that they used throughout the series. I agree with him. All that great talent throughout the series could have easily made a better ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mla...ature=youtu.be
Old April 6, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Mass Effect 3 'Extended Cut' DLC free this summer, offers 'further clarity to the ending' | Joystiq

That should make people happy and stop the whining about the ending
On the contrary. Its just going to be more of the same which doesnt solve the problem of it being a rubbish end.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I liked the end. at the very end of the credits there is a little clip that shows an old doctor Shepard talking to a child, I am wondering if the character was a ancestor of he commander Shepard. I had a feeling might happen so I let the credits play through.
As for that editorial I think the guy is a joke he has no or very little imagination. but then again I am a old man whole is playing is game and that guys mind is probably still in its late teens or early twenties which would explain is blah blah blah blah .

Last edited by Shadowmeph; April 9, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old April 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

“Mass Effect 3 is Having a ‘Mass Effect’ on Its Consumers for Better or Worse”

The BBB weighs in on ME3's end. Warns that companies have to be a lot more careful with what they say in the leadup to the game.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I just finished the game, so I figured I'd finally post in here my thoughts.

First off I did it with full galaxy readiness, 99%, so I was at about 7172 readiness, along with full reputation. I played through the game as neutral for the most part as regenade or paragon choices stacked you're overall reputation. This allowed me to truly play my Shepard the way I tried to in ME1 and 2 (I ended up in those games with max 1 rep and about half way through the other).

I heard you could save Anderson if you were max reputation, yet I wasn't able to do this (haven't looked into how to pull this off), however I did see my Shep survive at the end of choosing Destroy.

I was surprised how short this game was compared to ME1 or 2. ME1 or 2 had me clocking in at at least 40-50 hours for one single play through (as I do damn near everything in the game). I think I finished this one around 28 hours. Every single game was played through on the difficulty just below Insanity to increase playtime/difficulty/challenge (I tend to do this for most games as it helps stretch out the game longer and I don't feel overpowered for most of the game).

I'm more then likely expecting Bioware to make a fourth game, hell at the end the old man telling the story to the kid said there was one story left. Will I end up buying the next game? I don't know, between ME3 single player and multiplayer I've probably put in 60+ hours (I quite enjoy the multiplayer on silver difficulty and will probably still play a game here and there for fun). If I can put in 60+ hours in a game and want to go back and play some more, I've gotten my moneys worth.

Last edited by Arinoth; July 8, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Arinoth did you finish it with the extended cut?
Old July 8, 2012, 08:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I did, so I have no idea what the original shortened ending was like.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes I did, so I have no idea what the original shortened ending was like.

That makes sense. Let me just say that I have not played it through again to watch all the endings over and instead went to youtube to watch the new extended cut. Let me just say that while I overall do not like the end and believe there was a much better way to end it that at least in my mind would have made a hell of a lot more sense but whatever that has passed.

Now if I had done what you Arinoth did and only played it with the extended cut then would I have been as pissed about the endings? In short, no. The extended cut did expand and explain things a lot better and turned what was indeed one of the worst endings I have ever experienced into something passable.

At least with that extended cut it felt like more of a ending and doesn't tell you to buy more dlc when it comes out right at the end. So my overall thoughts on the extended cut? Better and should have been like that right from the start but considering it wasn't this extended cut was not enough for a few months wait.

I still think it would have been way better for Bioware to go with the fans ideas of something like the indoctrination theory and then could have really done a better job at fleshing out an ending that would have been much more in tune with the previous games.

I myself wanted to be able to sit down with my crew and play poker or something at the card table on the ship. I guess I did want a happy ending to some degree, but more importantly I wanted to feel like the entire journey was worth it. And even with the extended cut, it just does not make me feel like it was all worth it.

But whatever I have moved on and while it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, the 100 hours or so leading up to the end was one of the best game experiences I have ever had.

Old July 8, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Guess I'll have to check out the new ending. Now the question is do I wait until I replay it or just youtube it.

I'll probably just youtube the ending I had and watch the others when I replay it.
Old July 30, 2012, 07:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just played my first complete playthrough and I was okay with the ending. I had an imported paragon character, got up to level 55, all paragon, almost full reputation, and I used a 100% readiness "hack" since I didn't play multiplayer and I at least wanted to be able to choose the best ending if I so desired. ANd I had the extended ending dlc, so I've never seen the "regular" ending.

Spoilers below:

I wasn't able to save Anderson. I ended up going with the destruction option at the end. I was mostly happy with how it turned out, maybe because of the extended end. It explained things like the relays and other things being destroyed but could be repaired, it showed things like Wrex and Grunt together, the Krogans' rebuilding and with babies, it showed pictures of other main characters (like Jacob maybe teaching, Samara with her daughter, Jack, etc), and my Shephard survived (just shows it briefly at the end, taking a breath in the rubble). Sure it would have been nice to see more of Shephard, maybe a big multi-species celebration of Shephard, then having drinks with the Normandy crew in a rebuilt Purgatory on Citadel, then maybe walking off with the chosen love interest, then end. But I'm guessing that since Shephard dies in all of the other endings that they didn't spend too much time on one possible ending that most people probably won't get.