Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

the verge just came out and reported that yes bioware is going to do something about the ending. Score 1 for the fans.

I however am having a real problem with this artistic integrity bullshit. He ending is nowhere near biowares normal level, I want to see the actual devs and writers to come out and say yes, this is the ending we wanted to give the fans. Because there is clear evidence to the contrary.

but I'm glad they are doing something, it can't be easy for them to admit they've done wrong. Just hope the new ending is a total rewrite.

I'm still concerned as to it not being satisfactory. I do have to wonder how far they are into the planning of ME4. We know its coming. Don't see how it works after the krogans eat everyone.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And who says a whole crap ton of complaints don't get the attention they deserve.

To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare | BioWare Blog

In other words it looks like while still somewhat defending what they did do they are working on "game content initiatives" and we will hear more in April. This is what I wanted to hear, well pretty close anyways. I ended up doing a second play through and have it saved just after starting the final push on earth after talking to all my team mates. I just really hope they take what they see from the fans and look long and hard at the very well thought out suggestions that have been given and use them to craft us a proper ending.

I will say this, I will buy more DLC, and more Bioware and more ME games in the future, but only if they fix this. Cause lets face it, you have to screw the pooch pretty bad to leave a sour taste that affects 3 full excellent games. At least this is a step in the right direction.

Edit: Muse you totally ninja'd me on that one.

Old March 21, 2012, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's about as rare as a game dev changing the ending of their game due to peer pressure :-)

But I've read the blog a little more closely and the wording of it has me concerned. The phrase "build upon" especially. Building on a rotten foundation does not work, the building will fall 100% of the time regardless how much work you put in to the building itself.

I really am hoping for a non deus ex ending, now that I've seen that I can't unsee it. I'll hope for the best but I am expecting the worst at this point. Regardless I'm happy they are doing something.
Old March 21, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I really am hoping for a non deus ex ending, now that I've seen that I can't unsee it. I'll hope for the best but I am expecting the worst at this point. Regardless I'm happy they are doing something.
Yea, that is the same boat I am in. I'll hope but not completely counting on it.

Old March 23, 2012, 03:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

BioWare Co-Founder Apologizes To Fans For The Mass Effect 3 Ending - Sort Of - Forbes

This article came up on the bioware forums and its actually quite good. And is from Forbes. Which I found weird.
Old March 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, I read that one. I've noticed that some of the best written articles I have read about the entire ME ending have come from Forbes.

Old March 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

I just found it strange as I think as Forbes as a Business publication and not much else, may have to rethink my opinion of them.

But I think I've finally figured out just why the ending is terrible. While playing through the game there were quite a few things that rubbed me wrong, the side missions and the journal are right up there, but once I got to the end nothing else mattered. The fact that side missions were just planet scanning, in which the planets rotated extremely slowly, the fact that you got said side missions by eavesdropping on random conversations, the annoying reaper chases which made no sense all became inconsequential once I got to the end. Theres also the agonizingly bad lip syncing, anderson's running animation at the start of the game.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that the ending was made to cover up the shortcuts they made with the rest of the game.

And my opinion on devs caving to the pressure of the internet is amazing. You have to be short sighted not to see the benefits of this and think that a dev's or writers artistic integrity is the only thing that matters. Software is malleable and changeable, its one of the biggest benefits of it. But a prime example of "devs" adapting their product to the masses is car companies. Porsche has just been tweaking their car giving slightly updated versions of it with each iteration. Do you think Porsche really wanted to do a 4wd version? Do you think if disney had the option to change john carter they wouldnt? There is no basis in reality here, sure if you look at your own product its always going to be seen through rose colored glasses, the only way you ever EVER improve on something is to get feedback and criticism on it.

The devs can change it, I've already said I'd be willing to pay for it, they should have shipped a satisfactory product if they didnt want backlash. Bioware in my opinion needs to admit they were in the wrong and stop defending it out of a sense of duty. Right now it does feel they are still in denial but they are on the precipice of doing something great for the industry and listening to community feedback. With the rise of indie and crowdsourced games, of the fact that mods are reaching the same quality of the core game, with kickstarter proving it can fund AAA titles, democracy is entering the software developement realm and it needs to be embraced by the industry, not shunned.
Old March 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that the only option for Bioware now, is to step up and admit that they messed up and that they will make it right. Then they have to offer an ending DLC for free. If you follow what many many fans have said, if they fix this and give it away for free then they would gladly spend more money on other DLC. But on the flip side many also will not spend another dime on it if they do not offer an ending DLC for free.

Frankly I don't really like the entire idea of DLC that much. I have found the more often than not it is just a simple money grabber. Even the initial DLC for ME3 that was included in the collectors edition, that should have never been DLC. And in my opinion the difference between a collectors edition and regular edition should never be the actual game, but more in the swag that comes with it. Now DLC can add more to an older game and that is when DLC's should be brought out, you know once the game is getting older, but a new one in the franchise is still a little ways off.

Anyways, getting on a DLC tangent there. I would and will get more DLC for ME3, if and when I get a proper ending DLC. And yes while overall (besides ending) I really enjoyed the game, there could be more and should have been more. I mean the N7 missions were nothing but multiplayer missions played in single player, annoying. As for the scanning and reapers showing up, I didn't mind it, except for the planets turning way to slow. I think it would not have been that bad, except I had just recently play ME2 and the scanning is so much quicker in that. One thing that disappointed me was the lounge on your ship. I mean it was great to go in there and see some of my crew talking a bit, but I should have been able to use it more. You know, grab a drink when Tali is in there, or really get into conversation with Javek and Garrus. Or the worst offender, the card table. I saw that and thought how cool would that be to be able to sit down with your main squad and play a game on your way to some big mission. Or hell they could have ended it like Star Trek: TNG with a poker game, that would have been a great end.

I have seen other calls for more LI DLC, and even that I agree with. I mean all in all Bioware/EA, have a gold mine here, all they have to do is fix the end and people will gladly pay more to add to the game. From more LI, to clearing out Omega, to what could be many more missions, there is just so much they could use. But only if they fix the end to what they told us it was going to be like in the first place.

Speaking of Forbes, here is another one from them: Commander Shepard Actor Mark Meer Weighs In On Mass Effect 3 Ending And DLC - Forbes

And one more: Mass Effect 3, Gears of War 3, and Why Reviewers Fail - Forbes

Last edited by ipaine; March 23, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 08:08 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Mass Effect 3 ending scam

I'd be more inclined to think that it's stupidity, not passion, though...

Quote:
Where there is passion on the internet, there is someone who seeks to exploit it.
Scammers attempt to trick fans with promise of new Mass Effect 3 endings
Old March 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I just found it strange as I think as Forbes as a Business publication and not much else, may have to rethink my opinion of them.
I always thought the same as well. I just checked their site and they do actually have a Games section within the Tech section.

Though looking up a couple big titles/franchises I don't think any have received as much press then ME3 (in a short period of time at least).