Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
MVP
F@H

And yet another rumored ending... Being discussed on BioWare's forum.

I wonder how many endings we'll end up with?

Choose Language | BioWare Social Network
Old March 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetik View Post
I felt bad when I seen my cute, female character literally dying in front of me, bleeding out and suffering. No other game ever gave me that feeling. I consider this one of the best games I have ever played, even if my fate ultimately was to die at the end, I still accomplished my goal in destroying the reapers.
No see at the end of Dragon Age I had one of my characters take the hit and die and that hit me hard. Ultimate sacrifice and what not. This didnt. I dont know why but the ending did not evoke an emotional response except confusion and rage. DAO had one of the best endings in games for a while for me, there was choice, there was consequence and there was resolution. Sadly the series went downhill quickly from there Awakenings and 2 were just bad.

Yeah I got the ending with Ash walking out of the Normandy as well, with a smile on her face to boot. What the Normandy was doing traveling through a mass relay at that point I dont know.

Yeah... those default choices are terrible. If I do playthrough it again and want a more stock experience I'll try to use the masseffect saves site.
Old March 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh and check this out.

Exclusive: Mass Effect 3ís Director addresses the gameís controversies

Let me just say, as many others have said, this is such a slap in the face. Mr. Hudson doesn't even think anything is wrong. He has the nerve to say there is a polarizing view of the endings, well so far all of the major polls I have seen all say that 97% of us did not like the endings in the least. Hell I don't even like calling it an ending as it just wasn't an ending. Also we are not talking about what they mean, we are trying to figure out just why the people with us are all of a sudden on the Normandy? Or better yet why the hell was the Normandy running?

I really think he is just out to lunch. Oh and so is a good chunk of the press, obviously afraid to address it as a real issue and not just some kids whining that they didn't get a happy ending. That said some places had decent articles, and this is one of them:
Mass Effect 3 And The Pernicious Myth Of Gamer 'Entitlement' - Forbes

Old March 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Oh and check this out.

Exclusive: Mass Effect 3ís Director addresses the gameís controversies

Let me just say, as many others have said, this is such a slap in the face. Mr. Hudson doesn't even think anything is wrong. He has the nerve to say there is a polarizing view of the endings, well so far all of the major polls I have seen all say that 97% of us did not like the endings in the least. Hell I don't even like calling it an ending as it just wasn't an ending. Also we are not talking about what they mean, we are trying to figure out just why the people with us are all of a sudden on the Normandy? Or better yet why the hell was the Normandy running?

I really think he is just out to lunch. Oh and so is a good chunk of the press, obviously afraid to address it as a real issue and not just some kids whining that they didn't get a happy ending. That said some places had decent articles, and this is one of them:
Mass Effect 3 And The Pernicious Myth Of Gamer 'Entitlement' - Forbes
He's on damage control. It's the exact same thing Bioware did when we first started insulting them over the whole gay thing. People were arguing that they were changing the established sexuality of characters, and people just came out and said we were all gaybashing homophobes who didn't want the "gays" in their game. Completely avoid the argument, change the story, and then defend it from there.

And you can't even trust big name media anymore, because they all just pump out the same story. I swear to god I will find the person who started the whole "entitlement" argument and murder him.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
And you can't even trust big name media anymore, because they all just pump out the same story. I swear to god I will find the person who started the whole "entitlement" argument and murder him.
And that is why I linked to that Forbes article as it is one of very few that tells it like it is.

Old March 14, 2012, 07:06 PM
MVP
F@H

I guess the 'happy ending' is when you die, watch the credits rolls and you're magically back in the Normandy, as if nothing happened and ready to play. Ready to play all the forthcoming DLC

Has anyone actually gone on to play or explore?
Old March 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't as I have already done everything there is to do, but really it just brings you back to just before you leave for the Cerberus base. So all in all it just brings you back in time a bit.

You know that was something else I found that kind of ticks me off, and that was the message about being able to play more DLC right after we "finish" the game. Look we all know there will be some, you don't need to shove a message into our faces telling us that.

Going to change my tone a bit and say something good about the game. Don't forget really I thought this was a great game up till the end, and one moment that almost had the hair on the back on my neck stand up was when Grunt stayed behind to take out the rachni, just loved that. Or how about Joker and Garrus telling jokes, or Garrus talking to some other crew member in the lounge about our previous exploits and the crew member just being like "wow". Those were the touches that I really enjoyed this time around. Another one I really enjoyed was when Liara brought up her time capsule for if we fail, I thought that was a great sequence.

Old March 15, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Found a really well written article about why the fans are right. I would say most likely the best righting I have read about all of this.

Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right | GameFront

Old March 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

The other thing I didn't understand about the ending was the illusive mans part in it. He shows up all reaperized and then takes control of Shepard and Anderson, makes Shepard shoot Anderson before your given 2 renegade prompts to shoot him. Where does that control from, is there suppose to be some assumption that both Anderson and Shepard have been indoctrinated? which makes 0 sense, Shepard hasn't been anywhere near a reaper for more than 5 minutes, Anderson makes a bit more sense but there's no other signs of it.

And when I was told that the catalyst was the citadel I really was expecting an epic fight down the wards and presidium to get to the tower ala mass effect 1 but a strange semi influencable cutscene. A bit dissapointed that I didnt get to kill more reapers but that's a minor complaint.

@ipaine I do agree, the game had some really great moments, Mordin singing as he cured the genophage, finding garrus and tali together at the end, even liked the bit where I found the dieing quarian on rannoch and when you leave him calling him vas Rannoch. There were quite a few priceless moments that hit home, and then the ending.......
Old March 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Shepard has been close to reapers for more than 5 minutes (Sovereign in ME1, the human reaper in ME2, and the oodles of reapers in ME3). I think also the fact that Shepard is part synthetic probably "helps" as well.