Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2013, 06:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Please let them come out with that soon... also make it so you know emergency vehicles have the right of way?
Old March 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So what's Sim City 5324324 like anyways? I missed Sim City 5 through 5324323.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
So what's Sim City 5324324 like anyways? I missed Sim City 5 through 5324323.
They've decreased the city size to improve simulation and you can only play from 9pm - 9:45pm then the servers go down for maintenance for about an hour, then you can play for about 20 more minutes before they shut the servers down for the night to save on energy costs. I haven't renewed my SimCity premium subscription this year yet though.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Maxis CEO called this a MMO. Not entirely sure how really.

Anyways good article from RPS SimCity Boss?s ?Straight Answers? Seem Pretty Wiggly | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

another good read from the modder responsible for offline play on the possibilities of offline region play and just how pathetic EA's servers must be. From what I can tell there should have been zero problems at launch considering the servers dont do anything. Nothing more than a lot of free applications do anyways.
SimCity Modder Tells Us Offline Regional Play Easily Done | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Last edited by muse108dc; March 16, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all those links to stories, the comments are golden. If this was a shareware game I'd have let the timer expire, and only register it if they fixed the bugs.

I'm not having issues anymore getting onto a server, but the server/client communication, the apparent simple numbers flowing back and forth keep screwing me over. I built a large industrial city with a population of 150k(fudged) that supposedly has 30k(fudged?) jobs available. So after nearly draining the available oil resource I took over a neighboring city to export oil to the industrial city.

So I relied on the operational city for power, water, garbage, health, fire, police to start. As I expected I had to invest in its own clinic, fire, police, and eventually garbage..... But the broken server/client communication means the 60mw extra from industrial city isn't available (headshot, mesquite isn't buying that much is it?) so there goes $30k for a wind farm ontop of a hill.

The big thing, is the gifting.... I'm gifting 5k-10k barrels of oil at a time as trade depots get full back to industrial city. Then I play over there and the incoming gifts of oil number in the hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil. A truck drops off 1k and a train 5k, but there's still over a half million barrels on the way...... Someone fail at math?

Have an A-1 day!
Old March 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea I'm pretty sure your services were showing up there when I bought them, but yea it did take a while for them to start kicking in. I only have a windfarm with 2 windmills so I must be getting power from you. I think I'm sending you my sewage and possibly garbage too. :)
Old March 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
The big thing, is the gifting.... I'm gifting 5k-10k barrels of oil at a time as trade depots get full back to industrial city. Then I play over there and the incoming gifts of oil number in the hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil. A truck drops off 1k and a train 5k, but there's still over a half million barrels on the way...... Someone fail at math?
Actually I've figured out slightly what happens or what needs to happen if you are sending gifts between two cities you play yourself.

Perform the gift as you normally would, however once the gift has been sent DO NOT switch to the other city. You NEED to see the gift has been sent and is no longer in transit from YOUR side before switching over to your other city (as it technically hasn't left your city yet). Once the donator city no longer shows the gift in transit, then switch over to that second city, wait a few in game hours (which isn't long on cheetah) and BAM gifts received.

Found this out through trial and error, however it seems I always get the gifts I send to my 2nd city if I do this process, otherwise the game hasn't seen the item leave city 1 to get to city 2
Old March 18, 2013, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well here are the list of games you can choose from:
  • Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Bejeweled 3
  • Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
  • Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Blog Article
Old March 18, 2013, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well here are the list of games you can choose from:
  • Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Bejeweled 3
  • Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
  • Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Blog Article
Meh! I find it ironic Simcity 4 is on the list haha. But the rest of the games hold no interest me at all.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get Mass Effect 3 or Dead Space 3 and you'll have the option of buying a proper ending. Dead Space 3 even has optional micro-transactions for weapons. Awesome!