Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 29, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Collector editions

First the question. Which do you prefer.

Do you prefer the Skyrim style CE where you get a beautiful art book, a statue or some such. Physical bonuses nothing ingame bonus, just stuff that can sit on your desk and look pretty.

OR

The EA/Mass Effect route where you get a lot of ingame bonuses. More armor, cosmetic changes, day 1 dlc for free.

Personally I much prefer the Skyrim style, I want to be able to know that if I buy the standard edition I am getting the full game not just most of it. And if I do go for the CE I want something a little bit more special.

What do you think, is EA's style better, do you really prefer having a special ingame dog just because you got a CE? Or do you love that dragon sitting on your desk ontop of the artbook.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Only reason I ever pre-order something say the DD or CE is to get some added in game bonus stuff. Really I could care less about the physical stuff as most of it is rather tacky for an individual who isn't living on their own (insert woman having control of how a place should look and not a mess of gaming stuff scattered everywhere).

Although I did get away with the GoW3 Retro Lancer order, just haven't been able to mount it anywhere yet...
Old February 29, 2012, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

For the most part, I dont care too much about the stuff either, but thats the collector item stuff and if you call it a collector edition it should have stuff in it. And I broke down and got the skyrim one, the artbook is beautiful in it and the dragon... well I'm aloud some nerdy stuff on my personal desk. Its the only CE of that type I've gotten.

But I do buy most CEs for the digital content and I just feel like thats wrong.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I prefer the Skyrim style, but I never seem to opt for those.

Instead I usually get suckered into whatever CE BioWare is selling. Like I will with ME3
Old February 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Only reason I ever pre-order something say the DD or CE is to get some added in game bonus stuff. Really I could care less about the physical stuff as most of it is rather tacky for an individual who isn't living on their own (insert woman having control of how a place should look and not a mess of gaming stuff scattered everywhere).

Although I did get away with the GoW3 Retro Lancer order, just haven't been able to mount it anywhere yet...
My gf likes my whimisical stuff spread around and I got Danboard and Domo stuff in the living rooom.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I prefer the Skyrim style. In-game bonuses becomes useless pretty fast, they will never get you a very powerful or usefull item.

Look at FFXIII-2's bonus (not collector but still). The new suit is not really what I was expecting and the weapon is useable only after a certain part of the game but won't last 'till end-game (I guess).

But sometimes it's just too much of a price for what it is. Duke Nukem Collector, no thank you. But D3 collector, hell yeah I'll get it (I know the game is worth it since I am in the Beta )

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old February 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Rookie

I agree with everyone here, I prefer the Skyrim style as well, but just not when it gets out of hand like with Modern Warfare collectors editions.

I think the whole point of collector's editions is the sentimental value and xyz armor in game is not very sentimental.