Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default A Hidden "RTS" Gem: Wargame European Escalation

I'm a serious fan of the strategy genre which also happens to be one of the few genres that has stuck to its PC roots. So, I'm always on the lookout for new, innovative titles than have something going for them.

Unfortunately, most of the time, the newest strategy games have turned into buggy messes with poor scripting, shoddy unit AI, idiotic missions, mid game crashes, sequels that were shadows of their former glory....I could go on and on.

I had almost given up on finding a new strategy squeeze for this year (hell, nothing's being released!) until I took a risk and bought Wargame: European Escalation last week. After about 15 hours of playing, I can honestly say I was surprised by how polished and balanced this thing is. The graphics aren't stunning but they are quite nice for a DX9 game and the maps (even in single player) are absolutely massive. To make matters even better, the multiplayer experience is top notch as the players are mature (the game actually requires strategies like flanking, sneak attacks, etc for success so immature kids tend to stay away) and the matchmaking is intuitive.

Another big plus for me is the PC exclusivity and the fact that the developer is HIGHLY involved on the forums. They are busy rolling out patches / gameplay improvements even though the game is only a week old. Crashes: none. Annoyances: a few glitches / artifacts in really huge explosions and the fact that the AI is sometimes TOO clever. Favorite feature: infantry can't destroy a tank without shoulder-fired anti armor missiles.

Yeah, this sounds like an advertisement but I RARELY give my seal of approval to a game. This one has it. I highly recommend you RTS fans check it out.

EDIT: for those of you looking at it and thinking "it looks like WiC", stop right now. It is much more in depth but not to the point of making it unplayable for newcomers.

EDIT 2: Found a DX11 option!!

Last edited by SKYMTL; February 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Been thinking about this one since it came out, my current gaming computer barely makes the grade cpu wise is all thats holding me back.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 25, 2012, 12:39 PM

Yeah. I am getting pretty even loading across a 2500K in larger battles. It peaks at around 70% across all cores.

Going to transfer the install to the 3930K system to see what happens.
Old February 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Had forgotten that this game came out not too long again. Definitely will try this out at some point (after ME3) if I can remember to. Sky kick me continual kick in the asses as reminder?
Old February 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yeah. I am getting pretty even loading across a 2500K in larger battles. It peaks at around 70% across all cores.

Going to transfer the install to the 3930K system to see what happens.
That means my 2.5Ghz dual core is going to have lots of "fun" with this game.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 25, 2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
That means my 2.5Ghz dual core is going to have lots of "fun" with this game.
I'll also transfer it to my girlfriend's E8400 system with a GTX 560 Ti just to see how that goes down.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Transfer it to my machine and I'll let you knowe how it works out
Old February 26, 2012, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would have considered this game but they were trying to make it sound like it was realistic but when you watch the videos it is far from realistic.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love gaming and I like start games but unfortunately for me I am terrible at strat games lol but I still like them I am going to check this one out.
Old February 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks really cool, the trailer was extremely useless but I looked up some gameplay videos and I think I might buy it when I find $40.