Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I would have considered this game but they were trying to make it sound like it was realistic but when you watch the videos it is far from realistic.
Well, it's a bit more realistic than a standard RTS, that's for sure. I like the fact that you don't build bases and pump out units.

It actually reminds me of an updated Combat Mission but without the turn based aspect.
Old February 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Well, it's a bit more realistic than a standard RTS, that's for sure. I like the fact that you don't build bases and pump out units.

It actually reminds me of an updated Combat Mission but without the turn based aspect.
The new CnC Generals looks pretty realistic, running on frostbyte 2 engine which is another game i will have to buy. A lot of people hate on the CnC series because it went downhill but I think they are just living in the Red Alert days. The new CnC games are still quite enjoyable to play, are they as enjoyable as Red Alert was back in the day, no but I'd rather play them than SC2.

P.S Why don't you guys get some game reviews going? I'm sure you could find someone who would act professional enough who would work for free... Tons of people review games independently and do a decent job. Mind you it is Hardware Canucks not Gamer Canucks.

Last edited by JJThomp; February 26, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe I am being too harsh but the part where they said "never before seen realism in an RTS game" just irked me as that trailer wasn't realistic. I would give that title to Men of War if you want the most realistic RTS.

One thing is artillery is much more accurate but I know for gameplay reasons it can't be overpowered so you don't spam it. It also depends on the kind of artillery strike you want as well. If you wanted to saturate a large area then it is different. But the worst part of the trailer was seeing the infantry charge down the hill firing.

I have just been burned by too many games that say they are realistic. Just hope they have a proper fog of war like Men of War. Tanks without support should be easy to ambush for example as your view in limited.

Then again if I want realism I should just play Hearts of Iron 3.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 27, 2012, 01:42 PM

The do have proper fog of war but you can see the whole map from the getgo (minus enemy units) so you can plan your moves accordingly.

Recon elements are VERY important. They have massive sight lines so attaching them to a tank squadron is essential to ensure flanking units can be found before you get ambushed.

A well hidden infantry squad equipped with a few Javelin missile launchers can decimate a tank squadron in no time flat.

What I love is the use of roads to speed up unit movement...and yet due to traveling in a column, they become infinitely more vulnerable to ambushes. It is a constant tradeoff.

Just one warning: Using the "Insane" preset with Shadow Size over 3072 in DX11 mode will bitch slap pretty much any system.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The do have proper fog of war but you can see the whole map from the getgo (minus enemy units) so you can plan your moves accordingly.

Recon elements are VERY important. They have massive sight lines so attaching them to a tank squadron is essential to ensure flanking units can be found before you get ambushed.

A well hidden infantry squad equipped with a few Javelin missile launchers can decimate a tank squadron in no time flat.

What I love is the use of roads to speed up unit movement...and yet due to traveling in a column, they become infinitely more vulnerable to ambushes. It is a constant tradeoff.

Just one warning: Using the "Insane" preset with Shadow Size over 3072 in DX11 mode will bitch slap pretty much any system.
hmm thanks for telling. Guess I will pick this up.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Looks really cool, the trailer was extremely useless but I looked up some gameplay videos and I think I might buy it when I find $40.
it is already 40$
Old April 13, 2012, 11:32 PM
Top Prospect

24$ on steam
Old April 25, 2012, 08:18 AM

So this game has now seriously pissed me off.

EVERY TIME they come out with a balance patch it screws up EVERY one of the save games. Any in-game saves you have become completely unusable.

Not only will this force me to remove it from our GPU reviews but it has effectively destroyed the gaming experience for me.
Old April 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
So this game has now seriously pissed me off.

EVERY TIME they come out with a balance patch it screws up EVERY one of the save games. Any in-game saves you have become completely unusable.

Not only will this force me to remove it from our GPU reviews but it has effectively destroyed the gaming experience for me.
Awww I was going to buy it when I got my first paycheck but not anymore.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:49 AM

You completed missions are still save. However, if you are mid-mission and save, it will be unusable after a patch.