Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default BF3 ultra settings on an AMD X2 250?

I'm getting good framerates on ultra @ 1680x1050! How is this possible??
Old February 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1680x1050 is far from a demanding resolution. Anything over 1080P would slow that CPU down to a crawl. Overclock that beast and see if you can get a few more frames out of it.
Old February 23, 2012, 01:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have it overclocked by 800 mhz to 3.8 ghz
Old February 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

ummmm, higher res 99% of time take less cpu power, and far more gpu power, low res tend to be the opposite. Course this depends on the game in question.

BF3 scales VERY well with cpus, when the vast majority of dual cores, quad core, quad hyper threaded etc all get very similar frame rates at a given resolution, it speaks volumes of not tuly tapping the cpus raw processing capabilities.

example
Battlefield 3 GPU & CPU Performance > CPU Scaling and Performance - TechSpot Reviews

Very similar performance given a pretty specific test guidline, there is a huge price difference between these cpu, and yet, they all get similar performance. BF3 is GPU heavy, not so much on the cpu from a performance standpoint(it loads cpu decently judging from my temps, but % wise its not that high compared to other games I have)

For AMD, you want a high enough cpu clock, but you also want the cpu/nb to be higher as well, the memory bandwidth is very important, almost moreso then the raw cpu clock. 3.5Ghz on 4 core is plenty of processing power, on the other hand if the memory in/out of the cpu is to slow, then that processing power suffers bigtime.