Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default kinect for windows voice recognition

I've been thinking about this since I've seen the mass effect kinect demos and the fact that kinect is now sort of available for windows.

what exactly does the voice recognition, as far as I'm aware its software that's crucial for it, and while it may be kinect branded voice commands its still ones and zeros. Now on the Xbox it may be the kinect device itself that does the processing but when you get to the pc with its not as constrained performance limits why would that still be the case? Why wouldn't it be possible to just use a normal Mic and still get the same results.

while don't expect this to happen as Microsoft will most likely just keep it all locked up in the kinect device and not release anything separately it would be nice. I also don't actually expect

no I dint have any intention of buying a kinect of pc, 250 is just much too much . But I do want to be able to shout at my computer to make it do stuff. Dragon shouts, mass effect commands, staring and stopping movies, dictation, etc. Hell the idea o.f waving my hands about and actually doing stuff is great but not worth 250.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

wow 250$ for kinect on pc! It's what, 99 stand alone for the xbox.

I thought the same as you though re: using a mic.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're mostly paying for the software, which is frankly quite good according to my limited hands on experience. There's also facial recognition and motion control.

I don't get why Microsoft is targeting the PC/home sector though, this technology would be a godsend for the medical and industrial sectors. For home users, it's really just a fancy toy that does simple things for lazy people.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I don't get why Microsoft is targeting the PC/home sector though, this technology would be a godsend for the medical and industrial sectors. For home users, it's really just a fancy toy that does simple things for lazy people.
It's not Microsoft's technology. We should see this kind of tech everywhere soon enough.

Here's hoping for $50 knock-offs in the not too distant future.