Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Xbox 360 120GB HDD urgent concern

Now I know this is a gaming space in the forum, but I figured that some folks here might be able to help me with this console-related issue by way of suggestions or even by way of directing me to some other part of the forum which might have the info that helps me.

I just came across some weird behavior by my console's hdd and I frankly don't know if it's something I should be worried about.

I use an August 2008 Xbox360 to play back-ups offline. I recently started using the Horizon X360 utility to transfer saves and other info to and from my console's 120GB hdd using Microsoft's Data Transfer Cable. It turns out that last night I was transferring some title updates from my PC to the games installed in the drive when suddenly the drive appeared to freeze and started making "clicking" sounds for a few seconds. Now as anyone that has owned a PC for some time knows, "clicking" sounds coming from a HDD are never a good sign as it signals imminent disk failure and all that entails. I unplugged the drive and tried not to panic so a to find out what really happened. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Hard Disk Sentinel and proceeded to re-plug my hdd into my PC to scan it.

After I plugged the drive back in, I ran the program and the overview screen said that my 120GB drive was in perfect condition ( 100%) in terms of performance and health. I decided to run two of the S.M.A.R.T-designed tests available to the drive, the short self-test and the extended self test. The short self test ran for about 2 minutes and it came back without any errors. The extended self-test, which supposedly lasts almost an hour, lasted only about 6 minutes and eventually froze the program for a few seconds while making the drive give the "clicking" sound I heard last night once again. The odd thing is, after the program "unfreezed" and the test finished, the result log said the test had been " successfully completed" and it gave me no other indication of potential failure or error.

So I am just clueless as to what to do next. Should I use a different program specifically designed to test Xbox 360 120 GB drives? Should I be worried and start thinking about a replacement? or is this a common occurrence among people that scan their 120 GB units through their PCs?????

I would really appreciate any input you guys could bring forth on this matter since I really don't want to tamper with the driver more than I really need to at this point.

Thanks very much!!

Last edited by sankukai; February 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Drive is fubarred.

When a drive actually causes the OS to freeze there isn't much you can do. You you could accessing it with a Live CD either Linux or Windows and see if the same behavior exists.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Backup all data now, it will die very soon.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions guys...although i have to be honest and say I'm not very happy at what's going to happen if you guys are actually right...

Nevertheless, is there any software you guys would recommend that allows me to scan my X360 hard drive and see just how bad things are and how soon is it going to die?