Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2012, 05:58 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ah Steam, my old nemesis - resolved.

Back online with a new ISP and once again, I can't connect to Steam. It actually states that I need to establish a connection to the internet beofre I can log in. I had relocated my router to the living room seeing as my HTPC, Craptop and BluRay all needed a connection. Of course my Atom got the first IP and I had to go in and change all the port forwarding back to my gaming PC. Still can't connect. I go on the Steam and check the ports they have listed. I find two ports that must have been added sometime in the past year and add them. Still can't connect. The last time I did connect to Steam was in Dec using a dial-up connection (just for yucks to see if it would work) Did this somehow bork Steam into thinking my only connection is dial-up and it's stuck looking for a crappy Bell dial-up connection somehow? It doesn't appear as though my ISP blocks any traffic but I don't have an external IP with them, could that be it? Although Steam did work fine at work with that sort of an arrangement just fine - until they added me to the list of people that have practically everything blocked. I haven't tried a direct connection yet, it would require me to drag my PC from the spare bedroom to the living room, I suppose I'll have to try that tonight.

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; January 23, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you shouldn't have to port forward to connect to Steam
Old January 23, 2012, 07:54 AM
Rookie

Keep it simple... you know. Sounds like you and Steam aren't getting along, look around the settings I'm sure you can change your connection type. Steam can be used offline, I used the SDK to demo a Portal map at school while offline so I know it works. If you don't have any illegal activities to hide, you can turn on uPnP port forwarding and that'll take care of that. Any client with ports needing forwarding that don't use uPnP should have a static IP, so PEBKAC there. I wouldn't recommend having the router or any networking equipment in a living room. You didn't mention what ISP you're using. Do you suspect that a reinstallation of your OS will fix the problem? Reinstalls fix 95% of all my problems.

FYI, it's easier to drag a patch cable than a PC.
Old January 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No idea what is going on. I have never had a problem with steam and I have never done port forwarding.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
Allstar

Before you get into formatting, I'd check that dial up connection, make sure it's not still there in control panel. I suspect Steam is confused now.
Another option, though I don't know that it's to do with connection problems, is to delete the clientregistry.blob file in your steam folder, then run steam.exe. That sometimes fixes Steam problems. You can even delete all files except steam.exe in the steam root folder (NOT FOLDERS), and run steam.exe. It does an even bigger refresh to your files (assuming you have a connection). ( I've done this many times, it always resets my Steam content server location to Toronto for some reason.)
There's a Steam support article about it but I can't access it from my current location.

I'd still check your net connections.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

uPnP should be enabled, it always was before. Why is the living room a bad idea? I've got 75% of my networked items in that room, it make more sense to have it there than the spare bedroom where it was before. The ISP is TNCWireless, you probably never heard of them as they are a very local provider. They use a Canopy based wireless system. Unlike DSL or cable that have a modem in the house, I just seem to have a CAT5E cable coming in to what appears to be a inline power adapter to power the receiver on the roof, so running that directly to my gaming PC is not something that can be done with a simple patch cable. The system is dual boot so I'll try my Vista install, it hasn't been touched since I couldn't connect to Steam at this time last year. And that time the issue was they had expanded a range or ports that needed to be open.

I'm going to triple check all my settings tonight when I get home and make sure I didn't disable something stupid for another game or something silly like that. I only ever try to log into Steam like every 6 months or so. Lat time was proably to see how bad the DNF demo was.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try this place and look for steam
Ports listed by application. - PortForward.com
Old January 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Steam Client 27014-27050 3478, 4379-4380, 27000-27030

I'm not sure if I have 3478 forwarded, but that might have been 1 of the 2 I added yesterday when I was trying to get it working.

Hmm, from the FAQ for my Router - note D-Link stopped support for this model in 2007.

How do I configure my router to work with Steam?
You must open ports on your router to allow incoming traffic while using Steam.

Steam uses the following port(s):
1200 (UDP)
27000-27015 (UDP)
27030-27039 (TCP)

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; January 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No need to port forward or UPNP for Steam. I suggest installing Steam on another laptop, try bypassing your router and connect the computer directly to the modem.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You certainly don't need to port foward for Steam client. You are probably confusing it by doing port forwarding and it cannot use those ports. I would stop the port forwarding and delete the file mentioned above and then restart steam. The only other thing that might be stopping you is some sort of software firewall by chance?
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED