Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default #@#$#^&% Punkbuster!!!!

I know this things has it's use, but for #@$% sakes- I'm going bananas and I know I'm not the only one. There are alot of people who keep getting booted for no reason.. I have reinstalled several times and I can't figure it out and it's been three weeks since I've been able to play. FARK!!!!!
Old March 14, 2008, 04:58 PM
MVP

i know its brutualll are COD2 servers are takin a beating from people being kicked!!!!

even if you go to evenbalance to manually update, it still doesnt help!!
i2600k sandy bridge @ 3.4ghz/ 2x 8800 GTX KO ACS3 PCI-E 630MHZ 768MB 2.0GHZ SLI'd / Raptor 74GB / Antec 1200 Hundred Gaming Case / G.Skill Ripjaws ddr3 1600 cl 8-8-8-24 - 8gigs / evga z68 SLI MOBO / Samsung DVD+RW / Corsair ax850 PSU / 24" Samsung CinkMaster

Cooling:
Swiftech Dual rad
Swiftech Single rad
Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech Apogee GT Cpu block
Feser One Red Fluid
Old March 14, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok- more details- when I start playing (COD4) it says (despite manually downloading new versions) "running old version 2.062"

then it says "unable to authenticate with punkbuster" and boots me.

The problem started when I tried to update manually by downloading the update tool- which said 'no such pathway' or 'wrong pathway' or something
-I tried several times with no success, so I eventually made the right pathway for it and it seemed to succesfully download at least, but it still didn't work. Anyone run into this?

I have tried playing (stupidly) with all firewalls turned off just in case, but no dice

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 14, 2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old March 14, 2008, 05:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you running Riva Tuner?? Isn't there a checkbox at the start which does something for memory that's supposed to make punkbuster play nice with it?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I am running it, but I did check the box so it didn't P.O. PB
Old March 15, 2008, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Hey, I am using Rivatuner 2.07 no problems with P.B. playing COD4, have you tried different servers? Just a thought, I have had some problems in the past, don't remember what fixed it. It does seem like lots of people seem to be getting kicked latley? Did you play any mod games? I tried once, it started downloading all these files, I stopped but my custom slot names were wiped out... but the game still plays O.K. Just had to rename them again. Hope you get things up and running.
Old March 15, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When you update PB does it update your other games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
When you update PB does it update your other games?
only if u use the manual client thing it finds all puck buster games and updates it for u, iv never been kicked just its given me bsods in vista b4 lol
Old March 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecher View Post
Hey, I am using Rivatuner 2.07 no problems with P.B. playing COD4, have you tried different servers? Just a thought, I have had some problems in the past, don't remember what fixed it. It does seem like lots of people seem to be getting kicked latley? Did you play any mod games? I tried once, it started downloading all these files, I stopped but my custom slot names were wiped out... but the game still plays O.K. Just had to rename them again. Hope you get things up and running.
Thanks- yeah- it all started from me trying to play on a heavily modded server (=v4v=) which is the only one I've ever played on- anyway it downloaded all the files for the new maps that had been added since my last visit into what looked like a new path, and it even changed my menu page in COD4 to a customized thing with the modders logo.

It then booted me so when I loaded the auto updater, I clicked "find games, or add games or whatever, and the only two things that came up were two different pathways to COD4- and whenn I hit update, neither one worked.

It also doesn't seem to bedating for other games, although not sure.
Old March 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Have you tried a fresh install of COD4, I think that may be the next step, or try and get rid of the modded files... on the other hand...how are the modded games, I have thought about it, but chickened out when it started to download files without asking me... don`t like that! But now that I have reached level 55 there is something missing. No more levels or guns to unlock. Just run around trying not to get shot too much. Still love playing, maybe those new maps will be good!