Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Mass effect and DLC

Wow, compared to any way that one might handle DLC this has to be the worst. One must buy the dlc and then download it which doesnt sound so bad until you realise that there are 50 million different files to download and that if you do delete the game and go back to it in a year or so you have to go through the entire process again. Is it that hard to make the game recognize that you have DLC an just automate it in some way.

I'm extremely sad that EA has moved away from Steam, I love the way steam handles it and its available in sales from time to time which never hurts.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have ME1-2 on steam and the dlc but steam doesnt download the dlc you have to login to bioware and download it from there.
And yes I agree it could have been done alot simpler than how it is setup now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 3, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i just keep the downloaded files on my computer so if i need to reinstall i don't need to redownload. Ya it's not perfect but it's either that or don't get the DLC.

Old January 4, 2012, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah I found the whole Cerebrus network convoluted. It should be made real simple like an update to an app.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:31 PM
MVP
F@H

I'm guessing that almost all PC based DLC for EA will now have to go through Origin software. Even for single player games. By making Origin software mandatory for all users, it gives EA a lot more control as they attempt to compete with Steam on the distribution level. BioWare has yet to make an official announcement about DRM or if Origin will be mandatory for ME 3 PC retail copies. (The digital ME 3 version EULA says Origin is mandatory). Every new Origin topic invariably gets locked down once people start raging, complaining and mentioning piracy.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
I'm guessing that almost all PC based DLC for EA will now have to go through Origin software. Even for single player games. By making Origin software mandatory for all users, it gives EA a lot more control as they attempt to compete with Steam on the distribution level. BioWare has yet to make an official announcement about DRM or if Origin will be mandatory for ME 3 PC retail copies. (The digital ME 3 version EULA says Origin is mandatory). Every new Origin topic invariably gets locked down once people start raging, complaining and mentioning piracy.
I have no doubt in my mind retail ME3 copies will require Origin. That's a given at this point.
Old January 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
I have no doubt in my mind retail ME3 copies will require Origin. That's a given at this point.
Confirmed and posted on BioWare's forum: All copies of ME 3 will require Origin.

Choose Language | BioWare Social Network
Old January 13, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

unfortunate, but DLC can be handled better. Though I'm sure it would have been easier and better to just use steam's distribution. However I will be really surprised to see any new EA games on the service. ME3 will likely be the last EA game I get for a while though.

I actually had to fire off an email to Bioware tech support to get a code to unlock the FREE ME1 dlc. Definition of annoying.
Old January 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My only beef with the system is the DLC don't seem to go on sale, other than that I don't really have an issue with the way they did it.
Old January 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
My only beef with the system is the DLC don't seem to go on sale, other than that I don't really have an issue with the way they did it.
Yeah that pissed me off also, I ended up paying more for the DLC's than i did for both ME1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton