Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2012, 04:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's the mmo thing really. It's to give variety and allow people to have a bunch of useless/non-cost effective abilities.
Old February 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
5) Would really just prefer to be doing this type of game by myself in a good single player environment, no internet, no servers, no relying on other people to not quit durring a flashpoint.
So you mean KOTOR3, which is what everyone wanted to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It's the mmo thing really. It's to give variety and allow people to have a bunch of useless/non-cost effective abilities.
Normally most MMOs have come up with a way to at least balance "some" of the abilities so a little variety is possible, but I hear it's pretty bad with KOTOR.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've played a handful and its typically the same thing, though certain classes don't suffer as badly as others.
Old February 22, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Lack of healer's seems to be a pretty generic MMO issue. No one wants to heal everyone wants to be smashing enemies to smithereens.

This is why Guild Wars 2 will be interesting, the purposely removed the healer from the game.
Old February 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Lack of healer's seems to be a pretty generic MMO issue. No one wants to heal everyone wants to be smashing enemies to smithereens.

This is why Guild Wars 2 will be interesting, the purposely removed the healer from the game.
Hey, don't say "no" one wants to be a healer. I loved being a healer in WoW, becaues once i actually got good at it, it meant A. almost NO wait times in dungeon queue, and B. I quite frankly was doing little work for the rewards I would get.

When I wanted to actually do some combat, switch equipment, change talents, ready to go.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Exactly, first characters we leveled up on empire was Sorc and Asassin, with me being the tank and her being the healer. We did all sorts of flashpoints and were able to do the 4 man heroics with our companions. Hell in pvp we'd wreck because of guard, wasn't until 50 that we rerolled to republic due to the mind boggling idiots at 50 and unable to do flashpoints/hard modes with competent people. Now I'm a sage and she's a commando, and we still heal a decent amount in pvp and I'm still on the fence if I'm going to heal at 50 or not.

IMO removing healers in Guild Wars 2 is really making the game EASIER for end game content and hell even pvp.
Old February 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
What class are you Rommel and what server do you play on ?

I actually haven't played for a few days now, been playing daily and got fed up, maybe I'll play again today. I'm at 26-27 now, and I have a quest that I can't finish, it's about killing the guy that throws you up in the air.

I'm a 50 sniper on swiftsure.

Quote:
OK. When you take your servers down and leave a link saying go to our forums, your forums are not permitted to be down AT THE SAME TIME.

But I've played a bit and its not bad for the most part, I've been struggling quite a bit with the missions that require other people for a few reasons. 1) Noone seems to use the player grouping tool. 2) There is a severe lack of healers about. 3) This possibly may just be the server I'm on and in most of the time I like this, but its not overly populated so getting 4 characters for the Hammer Station flashpoint didnt happen. 5) Would really just prefer to be doing this type of game by myself in a good single player environment, no internet, no servers, no relying on other people to not quit durring a flashpoint.

This game is also a huge hog on system resources, and I cant for the life of me figure out why, graphics arent stunning, world is large but so is skyrim.

I dont know but this may be me and an mmo thing but why the hell do you need so many different abilities, how many different ways can you say "swing lightsaber" I have no idea what I'm doing with my leveling and do hope there is a way to reset it at some point.

Inventory and companion management also leaves something to be desired for me.

I am having fun right now though for the most part, the story is good and combat is satisfactory. Am I going to extend my subscription, most likely not at this point.
Ugh, forums are just a mess anyways, no search tool, no server specific forums? There's also next to no support via the forums or tickets so far, 90% of requests for help are just ignored or closed without resolution.

I didn't even know there was a "player grouping tool" lol, I just use general chat like everyone else if I NEED to group. If you're playing to get to 50 it's usually a waste of time to group. Lots of heroic 2 quests you can solo depending on your class and companion, sometimes you can do heroic 4 quests with one partner and companions, and often there's a way to even solo them.

Resources, yeah... it just sucks. It's not well optimized.

I haven't seen a real lack of healers, but swiftsure is one of the highest traffic servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
So you mean KOTOR3, which is what everyone wanted to begin with.

Normally most MMOs have come up with a way to at least balance "some" of the abilities so a little variety is possible, but I hear it's pretty bad with KOTOR.
Dunno who "everyone" is since this was about the most waited on mmo launch ever.

I would say that the abilities generally make sense and there are lots of useful ones. Obviously in PVP and raiding there's going to be better rotations that are more effective tho.
Old February 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just finished act 1 as the servers shut down again last night and am still being annoyed by Kira's folded hat.

But yeah, I really cant help but feel this game would have been better as KOTOR3. As it stands its vastly overdesigned for the sake of having multiple people playing at the same time (I find it annoying to have to fight my way out of a dungeon after fighting my way in). There are more abilities than youll ever be able to properly use, the lack of redundant servers that they can cycle through for the weekly updates amazes me, it cant be that hard to do. If half the money invested in this had gone to a SP instead, 1/4 it would have been a truely epic game.

I'm not on the busiest of serves, picked a less populated one just to not run into conflict with too many people and that may be my problem with healers. I found the secret to getting groups together though, dont play at 2am. Before power went out the other night I actually managed to complete 3 flashpoints with 1 other player, would have done 4 but you know power..... And the first one, esslles is by far the best so far, other ones have just been more dungeons for the most part. Esseles was anouther small story with ptions and dialogue, non of the others have been anywhere near that.

And why the hell does Tattoine(I just realized I have no idea how to spell that) have level 50 imps? Why do the jedi knight bosses not drop jedi knight stuff, surely that cant be too hard to rig up, I dont need anymore smuggler kit, I really dont.

Am I considering paying for another month, yes. However it wont be the next one, spring break is over and do need to focus on school and no teacher strike is going to help me. The completionist in me is going to want to have most classes palyed through. My only concern is that all of the side quests are the same for republic/sith players, depending on your side ofcourse, and you can t just blast through the main quest due to level constraints. The PVP doesnt appeal to me too much, but I havent tried it so well see when I get to level 50.

I'm getting frustrated by crafting though, I've gotten archeology up to 250 or so, but artifice is increasingly low so I cant actually make anything and have to keep going back to get color crystals. I would much prefer for some higher level quests with the option to give me a lot of level 1 color crystals.

I have more opinions but I need to move to my phone and stop tying onmy laptop.
Old February 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Just finished act 1 as the servers shut down again last night and am still being annoyed by Kira's folded hat.

But yeah, I really cant help but feel this game would have been better as KOTOR3. As it stands its vastly overdesigned for the sake of having multiple people playing at the same time (I find it annoying to have to fight my way out of a dungeon after fighting my way in). There are more abilities than youll ever be able to properly use, the lack of redundant servers that they can cycle through for the weekly updates amazes me, it cant be that hard to do. If half the money invested in this had gone to a SP instead, 1/4 it would have been a truely epic game.

I'm not on the busiest of serves, picked a less populated one just to not run into conflict with too many people and that may be my problem with healers. I found the secret to getting groups together though, dont play at 2am. Before power went out the other night I actually managed to complete 3 flashpoints with 1 other player, would have done 4 but you know power..... And the first one, esslles is by far the best so far, other ones have just been more dungeons for the most part. Esseles was anouther small story with ptions and dialogue, non of the others have been anywhere near that.

And why the hell does Tattoine(I just realized I have no idea how to spell that) have level 50 imps? Why do the jedi knight bosses not drop jedi knight stuff, surely that cant be too hard to rig up, I dont need anymore smuggler kit, I really dont.

Am I considering paying for another month, yes. However it wont be the next one, spring break is over and do need to focus on school and no teacher strike is going to help me. The completionist in me is going to want to have most classes palyed through. My only concern is that all of the side quests are the same for republic/sith players, depending on your side ofcourse, and you can t just blast through the main quest due to level constraints. The PVP doesnt appeal to me too much, but I havent tried it so well see when I get to level 50.

I'm getting frustrated by crafting though, I've gotten archeology up to 250 or so, but artifice is increasingly low so I cant actually make anything and have to keep going back to get color crystals. I would much prefer for some higher level quests with the option to give me a lot of level 1 color crystals.

I have more opinions but I need to move to my phone and stop tying onmy laptop.
Uh most MMOs I've played take ALL the servers down for maintenance, it's complicated doing rolling servers and can cause errors/greater instability.

It's sounding like a whole that this is your first MMO, a lot of the things you're complaining about, like max level zones on planets with lower level questing and certain class type bosses not dropping that gear happens in a lot of them.
Old February 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah first MMO really. And most likely my last as well. I just dont see the point in trying to shoehorn a single player experience into a multiplayer environment. Co-op I can understand but not MMOs. I dont mind the max level zones, dropping class specific gear in class specific zones should be a logical thing. But most of my complaints are going to be that it is an MMO more than likely.

Server rolling thing just makes sense to me, have 1 updated, shut down the first one, then in 30-60minutes get the updated one up. It cant be that hard. I dont mind really, just got really annoyed last night as I got 600 warnings all at once before the server shut down 30 seconds later. I have no idea of the technical challenges of it. This isnt an issue with SP games, well unless its an Ubisoft game but I dont play those anymore.

I can also complain about just how big some of the maps are with hidden quests in some areas, how Holocrons are near impossible to find without a guide, and even then.