Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2011, 05:40 AM
MVP
F@H

Default EA Origin questions

Curious. Can't find any info on EA's Origin site or in the FAQ. I'm interested in Mass Effect 3 on the PC.

How much disk space does ORIGIN require? For those who have it installed due to BF3 (edited to make that clearer)

Is there a way to sandbox it or disable it? I've heard of a BF 3 hack, but EA might try to fix that by March 2012

More and more it sounds like Origin is going to be mandatory for Mass Effect 3. But I don't want Origin. If I didn't have ME and ME 2 on the PC, I'd probably just get the PS3 version to avoid Origin.

Thanks

Last edited by LaughingCrow; December 11, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How would we know how large the game is? It doesn't come out for another 4 months. But it'll more then likely be 20-25GB.
Also from now on origin will be required for any EA game more then likely, I don't see that being an issue though.. origin is quite nice once you get used to it.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:30 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
How would we know how large the game is? It doesn't come out for another 4 months. But it'll more then likely be 20-25GB.
Also from now on origin will be required for any EA game more then likely, I don't see that being an issue though.. origin is quite nice once you get used to it.
Looking for the size of ORIGIN.
Old December 11, 2011, 07:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Sandboxing Origin is possible, and has been done -- got a lot more popular after the data-mining and reselling provisions in the EULA were publicized.
Old December 11, 2011, 07:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Installed it appears to take up 114MB in my Origin folder, which is actually less then Steam. With no games installed Steam is sitting at 140MB in its folder.
Old December 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that I for one will be annoyed if I have to get Origin for ME3. The reason is not the data mining and such (which does bug me), the big issue for me is that I already have ME and ME2 on steam. It will be annoying to move over to another service for it. And honestly I still say putting it on both makes the most sense and should result in the most sales.

As for the OP's question why concerned about the size of Origin? Like others have said it is just tiny and like steam will have no impact on your drive, even if you are using a small ssd.

Old December 11, 2011, 10:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

iPaine, you are more then likely going to only be able to, as I believe EA is only releasing games to Origin unless they work out an agreement with steam. The reason EA games aren't on steam is due to some kind of agreement they can't agree to, hence EA not offering any new titles to steam.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

What does it matter if it is on Origin? You can always add non steam games to your steam list.
Old December 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll just YARRR ME3 then.
Old December 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
iPaine, you are more then likely going to only be able to, as I believe EA is only releasing games to Origin unless they work out an agreement with steam. The reason EA games aren't on steam is due to some kind of agreement they can't agree to, hence EA not offering any new titles to steam.
It is really more about EA wanting to control everything from the get go. Too be honest I really don't trust EA and Origin. It drives me crazy that EA is in control of one of my favorite series, ME, now. Look I liked EA in the past, but as they are now they are not there to make games, they are only there to make money. And yes before anyone says, I know the idea is to make money, but in reality good game makers make games to make them, the fact that they get paid for it is a great plus as it allows them to do what they love. EA (and other large companies) are only in it to increase profits. Making good games and letting people own said games are only secondary.

In my mind decisions like the pulling of new EA games from a store like steam is just killing sales. It is just the same as pulling it from a retail chain which any way you slice it will just cut sales. I'm sure they will just blame it on piracy and say look at how many sales we lost to piracy. And yes I do believe more people will just end up yarrring it because it is not on steam. Just like I'm sure there are people that yarred BF3 because it was not on steam (although multiplayer is one thing keeping people legit). Frankly EA just wants to be able to implement DRM and DLC in a way that steam has issues with. Of course this was fine on all their games before and was suspiciously fine right up until they had their own store ready to go.

Anyways that ends my little rant against origin and EA. Sorry for going slightly