Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
Rookie

Default Battlefield 3/video card Help

So, I just upgraded my gpu from a 9800gtx to a 6870 and I am finding BF3 to be unplayable. I was playing it just below medium settings with the 9800gtx with just over 40 FPS and now with the new card im playing on low with the FPS jumping from 0-60 constantly. Its worse in single player. My set up is as follows:

Asustek P5Q-PRO
Intel core 2 duo E8400 OC'd to 3.8GHz
4GBs RAM
radeon hd 6870

I used driver cleaner pro to remove all nvidia drivers i could find and installed all the latest updates for amd. Any other suggestions?
Old November 30, 2011, 04:43 AM
Rookie

Hey, I also have a Radeon 6870 in my system and I can run BF3 on high at about 40fps. I do think the problem may be that your cpu is a bit underpowered for the game and that could be your problem, or it could be that you have a faulty card. Also what resolution are you running the game at.
Old November 30, 2011, 04:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I noticed a slight bug with the AMD drivers where if I changed the resolution or well game settings quality I would need to exit the game and relaunch it for any kind of lag/stutter to go away. Had this issue with AMD 6970s in crossfire only.
Old November 30, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I havent had any issues with my 6970. Bf3 pretty much requires a quad core cpu however. I've followed this game throughout the programming and every dev team interview I watched prior to game launch said the same thing. DUAL cores can run it but they are disadvantaged to quad cores.

The audio in BF3 uses it's own dedicated core and another for the game itself. Depending on what you are running in windows back ground will severely affect your game play. Things like VOIP, antivirus, etc. I think you might wanna invest in a faster hampster. 4gigs of ram is also a minimum for this game.

Never a bad idea to format the computer when installing a way newer vid card too imo.

Keep in mind... bf3 is the 1st game to come along in a while that REQUIRES an upgrade.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 30, 2011, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just a thought, check your memory usage, maybe with the new card and drivers you're just running out of RAM.
Old November 30, 2011, 06:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Huh, I did just notice that he posted he has only 4GB of RAM. I know BF3 is notorious of using more ram then standard games, and ran into stuttering myself when I was using a 9800GX2. Can you check to see how much RAM your game is using to see if you're at your max?
Old November 30, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Sorry, my resolution is 1680x1050. I am running windows 7 64bit. The memory in the task manager while in-game is running just under 2.5GBs of ram and the cpu usage is around 100%. I know this game is cpu intensive but the game was not constantly lagging with the 9800gtx. I may have to reformat. I was really hoping with this gpu purchase i would be able to continue using my setup for at least another year :(
Old November 30, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Bf3 pretty much requires a quad core cpu however.
That's not what I heard.
Battlefield 3 CPU Performance | bit-tech.net

Even what was said about the RAM, I see contradicting facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit-Tech
We also repeated the test by running our benchmark with 6GB, 4GB and even 2GB of DDR3 memory fitted into the system. Again, we found that performance remained stoically unchanged; only a single-core setup saw any difference, when the game flat-out refused to run at all. Needless to say, then, that BF3 appears to not be the most CPU-taxing game, instead relying almost entirely on the performance of the graphics card.
This game is entirely GPU dependent. A dual core will be fine. A quad core is just a good investment.

EDIT: To the OP -> The 6870 is a mainstream card. Don't expect anything over what you're getting now. Like you said though, because you went from Nvidia to ATI, there may be some conflicting drivers in there causing performance drops.

I use a 5870, and I get dips in BF3 all the time, depending on what is being displayed.

Last edited by bojangles; November 30, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old November 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure everything is closed but origin and your web browser, I've experienced the stuttering with 4GB of ram but it disappeared with 8GB of RAM. What drivers are you running? Make sure you have the latest beta drivers from AMD.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
That's not what I heard.
Battlefield 3 CPU Performance | bit-tech.net

Even what was said about the RAM, I see contradicting facts.

This game is entirely GPU dependent. A dual core will be fine. A quad core is just a good investment.

EDIT: To the OP -> The 6870 is a mainstream card. Don't expect anything over what you're getting now. Like you said though, because you went from Nvidia to ATI, there may be some conflicting drivers in there causing performance drops.

I use a 5870, and I get dips in BF3 all the time, depending on what is being displayed.
This is coming DIRECTLY from the DEV team dude. I ain't making this shit up. One of the cores will be dedicated to audio period. I'm sorry to say bit-tech's tests are completely irrelevant based on everything I have read or watched during the development of bf3. I will go further today I played around with overclocking during the beta and the game did run smoother with a higher OC.

I guarantee they weren't testing with 12 or 15 people in ventrillo or TS3. Which I can find no reference on their little test. A test which is retarded in my opinion... where are ALL the other CPUS with different architectures???? Seriously one of the worst test I've had to read. Or a couple of windows open in another monitor checking stats on players. Or Procon running in the background. Bf3 is programmed with 4 core cpu's in mind with one being completely dedicated to audio. I'm not gonna go find this video it was from over a year ago. That said my original post stands..

BACK ON TOPIC:
Going off what his problems are with severely low fps I would have to say he needs to format. Something is screwing up the drivers. Easiest way to ensure you don't screw up a gaming computer install is to install the game asap and check playability. Sometimes people install extra crap that can screw up FPS or create choppy gaming. If you are planning a format perhaps you go through and uninstall as much junk (one atta time) to check and see if something else is causing problems.

Another thing I've had luck with in the past is to: Open device manager. Expand display adapters. Uninstall the vid card. This sends you back to VGA mode at which point you can re-install the drivers manually. Probably won't work but its easy and fast to try.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; November 30, 2011 at 09:06 PM.

Tags
6870 , 9800gtx , battlefield 3 , e8400