Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default General "Elder Scrolls" question

Hey guys
Just finishing up Witcher 2...first crack at an RPG and thoroughly enjoyed playing this version 2 as well as Witcher 1!
I'm interested in getting into the Elder Scrolls games, where would be a good starting point...as in starting with ES III then IV ?
Obviously ES Skyrim looks great, but I would like to start at a point that is realistic for getting into the game storyline etc...(would never recommend playing Witcher 2 without playing Witcher 1...although not necessary)

Your suggestions welcome..

Old November 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just jump into Skyrim.

While I guess there is more that you will know if you have played the older ones, there really isn't anything that is story breaking if you don't. Generally I have noticed some comments about things that happened in Oblivion and such but nothing that leaves you in the dark if you didn't play it.

That said I did spend tons of time in Oblivion so it is a good game, but really Skyrim is much better. Of course, I'm thinking of how I played Oblivion and that was with a bunch of mods to fix the issues it had. So with Skyrim, I can say that the UI really needs work and before long I'm sure there will be a mod out there that fixes it and makes it what it should have been. The thing is, the fact that the UI is as crappy as it is, and so many of us are still putting crazy hours into it, just goes to show how good the actual game is. I know I have put in about 40 hours give or take and I still have not been to all of the cities. Really when you get down to it I have barely even been on the west side of the map.

So all in all, get Skyrim and enjoy some dragon killing. That's my 2 cents.

Old November 21, 2011, 08:50 PM
MVP

I didn't play the earlier games (well, a couple of hours of Morrowind where I wandered around having no idea where I was trying to go or why, and dying a lot), but I am LOVING Skyrim.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 22, 2011, 01:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Bethseda designed morrowind/oblivion/skyrim to be just as good for elder scrolls junkies as for new recruits. If you want to get more into the lore, read the books you find in the game. You can spend a few hours just reading lore books totally contained inside the game.
Old November 22, 2011, 04:01 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I am playing a 'bit' of Skyrim and I never played any of the other games.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 22, 2011, 04:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unlike the Witcher 1 and 2, you always play as a random "destined" character in each game. They make make a little bit of references here and there about what happened in the previous game, however holds no baring in the current one you play. That's to say you don't import your saves or any information. You just play and go.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:14 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'd play oblivion first though. Load it up with all the graphics mods.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say if you're going to go back and play Oblivion then you may as well at least go back to Morrowind (which was way better than Oblivion).
Would take you forever to get through them all though... by that time they'll have another game or two out.
I probably put around 200hrs into Morrowind (+ modding time), and a little less into Oblivion (mostly modding time).
Now I'm around 40hrs into Skyrim and haven't even gotten very far on the main quest.
I'd start with skyrim if I were you unless you have a lot of time and are very patient.

Last edited by somecanadianguy; November 22, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old November 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Like most others said I would jump straight into Skyrim. It's the best ES game yet imo. I really didn't like Oblivion, but lots of people do. Morrowind I could easily go back to, especially with all the mods. Arena and Daggerfall feel too dated to me to get into.

Last edited by Full Speed; November 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old November 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Speed View Post
Arena and Daggerfall feel too dated to me to get into.
Yeah, that's why I didn't even mention them.