Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Angry General FPS rant

I am angered by the unlock system that is plaguing every pretty much every FPS now. For example in BF3 I think it is complete bullshit and unbalanced for vehicles. Right now if you decide to start playing as a jet fighter you have no chance to even unlock flares as you often die 10 seconds after taking off.

I want games to go back to when everyone was equal. Everyone had everything unlocked and everything was balanced. We didn't need carrots to keep us playing the game because the game was just good and fun. Right now overpowered unlocks make the game not fun at all and forces you to constantly play or get left behind. Bring back the old Battlefield.

PS it is really hard not to swear when this angry about it.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I do agree its rather annoying, and can be frustrating at times, though its how the big FPS games see they can keep people looped in, unlockable weapons and periodically adding new maps (which they typically charge for). There is one solace, it looks like the back to kirkland map addon will have a different unlocking system for its 10 guys. One such example of this is requiring 20 assault weapon and 2 mortars to unlock it, rather then needing to be level xxx. The other gripe I'd moreso say then unlocking weapons, would be unlocking attachments and crap for your gun.

On the note to help you unlock flares, you should try going into barely populated servers (such as HwC during the day) with a friend or two and just kill each other for the sole purpose of unlocking something you can use when playing against more people. I'm guess you're playing 32 or 64 player fully populated maps trying to level your bird, this is a bad idea since a lot of people (with no lives) have practically everything unlocked now and therefore have that slightly to quite a bit unfair advantage.

No longer are FPS games just about skill with equal weapons, its who can have the unfair advantage by just playing longer (no life) then the other guy and therefore typically beating them.
Old November 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hasn't Battlefield always had unlocks? At least as far back as I can remember...

And you can find near-empty or "n00b" servers with rank caps where you can practice/play to gain points and get unlocks. There's also servers with "instant respawn" so you don't have to wait if you die, and some servers have more tickets than default so the round lasts a decent amount of time, even if you keep dying.

It's not difficult to get 5k points per round if you actually play the game as intended. That means capturing flags or destroying objectives. Killing people doesn't really net you many points IMO.

I agree, vehicle whoring is lame though, but then there's infantry-only servers which resolve that too. Alternatively you could play engineering and gain points by taking out the vehicles.

It's just a game though, nothing to get angry over Just get out there, play and have fun.
Old November 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yea i was pissed when i couldnt get any thing done because you'd die as soon as you spawn. but last night i got in to a 64 player server with 20 people in it and got 20k points out of it and almost 2levels
Old November 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
Allstar

I stopped playing for a few Days... Skyrim.
I noticed when i got back I was getting spanked again by over powered Guns. I thought they were removing the scar and UMP for being over powered.?
Old November 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hasn't Battlefield always had unlocks? At least as far back as I can remember...

And you can find near-empty or "n00b" servers with rank caps where you can practice/play to gain points and get unlocks. There's also servers with "instant respawn" so you don't have to wait if you die, and some servers have more tickets than default so the round lasts a decent amount of time, even if you keep dying.

It's not difficult to get 5k points per round if you actually play the game as intended. That means capturing flags or destroying objectives. Killing people doesn't really net you many points IMO.

I agree, vehicle whoring is lame though, but then there's infantry-only servers which resolve that too. Alternatively you could play engineering and gain points by taking out the vehicles.

It's just a game though, nothing to get angry over Just get out there, play and have fun.
Its not that I am a noob. I easily get over 5K per round and sometimes over 10k. Battlefield has not had any unlocks since BF2 all the older ones did not have unlocks. I also shouldn't have to play a certain way just so I can have a fighting chance. I am having fun but more and more I play I get frustrated when there are idiots that yell at you for taking a vehicle when you don't have many unlocks for it or getting destroyed every time. I mean it is lame taking a jet and pretty much all you can do is take down helicopters and maybe a jet or two if the other guy sucks.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old November 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF the game gets boring or you get frustrated...do what I do...and change the game you are playing. No I dont mean buying another game. Give grief'ing a try. All those wankers who are yelling and screaming at you....get enjoyment from making them mad and rage quiting. I personally got more time and enjoyment from being a griefer in BC2 than I did playing "straight" or "fair". Find out what pisses off those no life wankers the most...and do THAT...all game long. Nothing better than messing with a basement dwellers sole source of pride. :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF the game gets boring or you get frustrated...do what I do...and change the game you are playing. No I dont mean buying another game. Give grief'ing a try. All those wankers who are yelling and screaming at you....get enjoyment from making them mad and rage quiting. I personally got more time and enjoyment from being a griefer in BC2 than I did playing "straight" or "fair". Find out what pisses off those no life wankers the most...and do THAT...all game long. Nothing better than messing with a basement dwellers sole source of pride. :)~
This is why we can't have nice things... haha.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

U MAD BRO?

LOL sorry couldn't hold it in. I completely disagree with you. If Battlefield 3 didn't have those unlocks it would be boring and plain and there would be no incentive to rank up. I think the game would BLOW CHUNKS if there was no unlock system. Plus I don't see how it is imba at all. There is a counter for everything. Is an RPG imba because it 1 hit kills you? no.

What I recommend you do is find a server that is air only, or play a conquest map that is very underpopulated, that way you get to actually practice flying the jet without dying in the first 10 seconds.

and.... who cares if the idiots are yelling at you for flying when you don't have unlocks. How else are you supposed to progress. EFF em. It's a public server no?
Old November 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BF 1942, Vietnam, and BF2 all did not have unlocks and played hundreds of hours into all those games. CS:S doesn't have unlocks and I put close to a 1000 hours into that game. I don't mind unlocks but making all vehicles without flares and jets without heat seekers to start is ridiculous. It would be like only making rank 0 infantry have knives.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum