Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Thoughts and Opinions on SWtOR

For those of you that have played in the beta for SWtOR, how did you like it? What are your thoughts and opinions on the game?

I am actually very interested in this game being a huge fan of Bioware games and a bit of a star wars fan but at the same time I am afraid. I am afraid of this carebear generation of MMO's. I find that pretty much ALL MMO's are crap these days. Coming from my first MMORPG experience with Ultima Online I find that all of the MMO's offer such a soft-core carebear experience of a game. Will tOR offer anything for a hardcore MMO player? Or will it purely be about consentual pvp and lots of pve?
Old November 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you opt into one of the SWTOR beta key give aways? If not I seem to have 2 extra keys laying around that I could give you one and let you see if you enjoy it or not. Just speaking from my own experience, it seems that swtor is going to be one hell of an mmo. Though that's only to level 10, but still, a lot more fun and engaging just at the low end then most mmos. Also, only mmo I've been able to rope my fiancee in as she typically finds the standard ones like WoW absolutely boring.
Old November 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I did check the link that you posted in another thread but unfortunately I got there just after the beta key giveaway ended. If you could hook up a beta key that would be absolutely amazing!

If your wife found WoW boring then it might just be for me, because I found WoW to be really boring as well. I only played it for the first year of release.
Old November 18, 2011, 01:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

PM coming your way with one of my 2 beta keys.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default environments could look better

I felt the environments could look better and also the spawning of enemies was too fast in some areas. I enjoyed playing the game somewhat as I want something other than a fantasy setting for mmorpgs but I don't know if what Star Wars offers is going to be enough to get me to play it for a long time. I do think questing has been made better but not enough was done. Questing should be more challenging. End of quest chain bosses should really have mulltiple moves and live long enough to use them. I also would like to see more end of quest chain bosses requiring a full party. It is one thing to join together with other players and run dungeons and raids but really I would like to see a return to people enjoying open world/living breathing world play. What is the point of making all these places in a game if nobody goes to them or has real fun in them ?
Old November 19, 2011, 07:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You are aware that most games that are in beta simulated as first day launch or first day launch up the enemy respond time so that people don't have to wait when absolutely everyone is low level. A week into the game it'll go back to normal. I've seen this on several mmos, this is not the only one to do this.
Old November 19, 2011, 07:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLzzz2008 View Post
I felt the environments could look better and also the spawning of enemies was too fast in some areas. I enjoyed playing the game somewhat as I want something other than a fantasy setting for mmorpgs but I don't know if what Star Wars offers is going to be enough to get me to play it for a long time. I do think questing has been made better but not enough was done. Questing should be more challenging. End of quest chain bosses should really have mulltiple moves and live long enough to use them. I also would like to see more end of quest chain bosses requiring a full party. It is one thing to join together with other players and run dungeons and raids but really I would like to see a return to people enjoying open world/living breathing world play. What is the point of making all these places in a game if nobody goes to them or has real fun in them ?

Well, there are world bosses about that you don't need to enter a flashpoint as (they are labeled as such).

Also, when it comes some gameplay aspects such as leveling speeds, it's hard to use the beta to guage it by. They are still tweaking things out and one of the updates to the game seems that they changed some 1's and 0's to affect damage and such, which would then affect leveling speed etc.

My overall feel from the game is very positive.

Is it perfect? No, far from it. What I can say is that the game has a solid foundation to build upon to make it a great game. They need to add some things to the game post launch to help make it a great game.

These are:

Macro's - If your playing an MMO these can be so handy and useful. The problem they are having is striking a balance. One thing they want to try and avoid is a Riftesque macro system which can have PvP/PvE boil down to 1 or 2 button presses if you code the macro just right.

UI Customization - The default UI is nice but lacks a lot of customability just from the move the different parts around. I am talking there is no way to resize the UI (at least from the builds I played). Their default setup is far from optimal at least for me the way I take in information normally. Hope they allow modding of the UI to change how it looks and maybe even change some stuff (I love having an actual HUD when I tank, lets me constantly monitor my health etc). Also, free's up designer's and programmers for other tasks, as such listed below.

Pazzak/Sabbac/Swoop Racing/Pod Racing - These things have been talked about and they are looking to add these mini-games post launch. Some may come in sooner others later depending on a few things. I can honestly seeing the racing being a part of an expansion.

Same Gender Romance Arcs - It's bioware, story is a part of it. This doesn't affect me directly but they have said to the GLBT community that post launch they will have a companion for their character to romance for more stories etc.

Bounty Hunter System - Again, they are exploring this option. Some aspects need to be changed around to allow this. Some sticking points is if a person has a bounty on them they can pretty much stick on an origin world or the cap city and wait it out.

Space Combat - It's a side scroller and imho, kind of sucky It does break the monotony of the game and their is word the Dev's are gonna take a new look at it post launch. Some people were hoping/wanting an actual space combat sim like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. Which, given todays computer specs it would be rather feasible if they could wrestle away the rights to it. The game was developed to run on 1990's era computer hardware and via a dialup connection.

The biggest advantage is that Bioware tends to take feedback/suggestions from the SWTOR Community to heart and would try and implement it if feasible/reasonable/great idea. Direct proof of this is the SGSA that was a very hot topic in their forums. Realized that this was an aspect of the game that was wanted/needed for a small segment of their players.
Old November 20, 2011, 02:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
Pazzak/Sabbac/Swoop Racing/Pod Racing - These things have been talked about and they are looking to add these mini-games post launch. Some may come in sooner others later depending on a few things. I can honestly seeing the racing being a part of an expansion.
Quote:
Pazzak/Sabbac/Swoop Racing/Pod Racing
Quote:
Pod Racing
My N64 nostalga hit full force right there.

But adding minigames is a dangerous route to go down. Make them too simple, people will write them off as stupid, make them too indepth, people will ignore the main part of the game.

Wow is going down that route with the Pokemon style companion battles, and I can see absolutely nothing good coming from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLzzz2008 View Post
It is one thing to join together with other players and run dungeons and raids but really I would like to see a return to people enjoying open world/living breathing world play. What is the point of making all these places in a game if nobody goes to them or has real fun in them ?
This. This right here. This was the entire ******* point of MMOs. MMOs are moving farther and farther towards instance based gameplay (for technical reasons I know), and it's hurting the very core of what made MMOs unique.

I remember telling people to call most of these games MASGOGs instead of MMOGs (Massive Amounts of Small Groups Online Game). Because that's essentially what it is now.

And I'm excusing Realm/Server based divisions, because that's a technical limitation that few MMOs can actually escape (EVE Online being one of the few).

Last edited by Jebusman; November 20, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old November 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
My N64 nostalga hit full force right there.

But adding minigames is a dangerous route to go down. Make them too simple, people will write them off as stupid, make them too indepth, people will ignore the main part of the game.

Wow is going down that route with the Pokemon style companion battles, and I can see absolutely nothing good coming from that.

This. This right here. This was the entire ******* point of MMOs. MMOs are moving farther and farther towards instance based gameplay (for technical reasons I know), and it's hurting the very core of what made MMOs unique.

I remember telling people to call most of these games MASGOGs instead of MMOGs (Massive Amounts of Small Groups Online Game). Because that's essentially what it is now.

And I'm excusing Realm/Server based divisions, because that's a technical limitation that few MMOs can actually escape (EVE Online being one of the few).

The thing about the items I memtioned is they are a very integral part of Star Wars lore (Got to remember Han won the Falcon off Lando in a game of Sabaac, Anakin a skilled pod racer etc). The way I would like to see pod racing done is either actual races vs. others or even posted times you need to beat with tracks on the different worlds. Say one week its Hoth, another Balmorra etc. You could EASILY turn such a thing into a league. The thing with WoW and Pokemonn is that it doesn't fit the lore and is putting it in there for who knows why.

As far as instanced grouping, there is a lot to do outside of the Flashpoints and Operations. I can tell you one thing this is not SWG2 at all. And there are a lot of people bitching that it isn't.
Old November 20, 2011, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I almost think/expect them to do what they did with KOTOR 1 & 2 with respect to the mini games, except now it'll potentially be ladders/leagues for people to compete against one another. The pod racing was a lot of fun though it was just a time trial and against pre-set times. Imagine if you had 6-10 people racing along, with the possibility of them crashing and essentially dying (auto-lose race), it could see this as being a nice way to blow off steam havent raiding, or questing for a while. Now I don't want to see them rely on this without giving us content, but I could see this work quite well.

The same goes with space battles, remember in KOTOR 2 and dealing with enemy fighters?

I enjoy having instances, but when I look back at WoW, I could level up from level 10 (or whatever) until max level only doing instances, skipping out on a lot of content and lore the game could offer. Its nice that SWTOR isn't overwhelming with them, though the true test will be is if they will have enough to keep me and others happy enough for when we don't want to level all day.

Another thing I found rather interesting that they have done is each server seems to be broken down into sub-servers. What this means is you and I could be sith and on the same server, though we could not be on the same server. This is probably done to help lesson the burden on the servers themselves and others people's latency/connection. If you ever played WoW pre Burning Crusade you would know how horrible you would lag (computer and network) if you were near the Auction House in Org or Iron Forge.

Now you're going to say "then how do we play together if we are on different sub servers?" Easy, one of us switches to a different sub-server. That's it, you can do it whenever you want, so if you're doing party quests or wanting to help someone out, you just switch to their sub-server and you're off to the races.

Professions seems to be done different, which I for one enjoy a bit. You gather companions along your journey, that will either help you fight or help you level up your crew professions. (They go away/can't help if you have a full party). For any profession you tell one of two companions to perform it, either a gathering or crafting (if you have the materials) profession. Each companion has different strengths to allow them to be more successful at certain professions, increasing the likely hood of returning successfully or crafting more then one item. What's really nice about this is you can technically level up (or if at max level do it anyways) your professions while in an instance. It costs a bit of credits each time to send them out to gather or craft (with a timer 1-10 mins so far I've noticed, it tells you the length and cost before you select it). When I was doing a flashpoint, every 5 mins I'd get a little heads up that my guy was done and what he found/got. I'd then send him off again and continue along.