Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Guild wars?... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/4843-guild-wars.html)

omgwtf March 2, 2008 07:46 AM

Guild wars?...

Is this game worth playing? I'm kinda bored of wow right now and source...:ph34r:
If not, recommend another online mmorpg game..plz0r *B0000R3D
If anyone hates/loves/dislikes guild wars speak up, don't wanna wast my money on a piece of ..*cake
Kay..that's ab00t it..

Amon March 2, 2008 01:06 PM

I bought the collector's edition ($120) the weekend the game came out and sold it a week later. The game was great, but didn't mix with me for some reason. Anyway, I've been playing Exteel on and off lately. It's a Gundam-themed MMORPG by NCSoft that is free to play.

Supergrover March 2, 2008 01:52 PM

I have the first vol, it's okay decent story and with the right bunch of ppl great fun. I think fileplanet has a 14 day trial of all 3 versions, might want to check it out.

omgwtf March 2, 2008 02:27 PM

Im downloading right now Exteel..gonna try Guild Wars also if the trial version is still available..

Scotch Tape March 2, 2008 02:52 PM

I bought GW and I never play it.

I have a 14 day (or 10 hours) trial card if you want to try it.

omgwtf March 2, 2008 03:38 PM

got pm...

Exteel sucks my opinion..

Flintblade March 2, 2008 05:38 PM

I have all 4 titles - the three campaigns and the expansion pack. The PVP is amazing and until WAR/AoC are released you will not find another game with better PVP. Well... you might, but WoW definitely doesn't cut it.

The storyline however, is awfully short but there are lots of quests. It's not a PVE game really and so there isn't much in that area. There are a few items, but not many. It doesn't have the item database like WoW. But no game compares to WoW in the item department, but other than that... WoW doesn't have much either.

But I find it to be overall, a pretty good game. It's very solid, very little to no lag. There isn't a whole lot too do other than PVP. You really need a group of friends to play with though. The best PVP is GvG and you're going to want a good guild or a group of friends. But theres lots of other PVP thats really fun.

The main thing I like about the game, is how it can be picked up and dropped at any time. You can log in and find a pvp game in under a 1minute, complete and then log off. So amongst playing LoTR, beta for WAR and AoC... SWG/COH and 360 games along with COD4 for PC. I can still manage to put a bit of time into GW every now and then.

It's definitely not a game that you can play for 10hours a day for 5months. If you like spending that much time in one game, than WoW is for you.

I really do enjoy it and think it's a solid game overall. The graphics are awesome and it currently has one of the best PVP systems. I don't play it very often though, and Eye of the North I thought was a disappointment. It's the least played addition to the series that I've been through. I've put lots of hours into the original and two additional campaigns but never liked Eye of the North.

Definitely suggest that you give the game a try, especially if you haven't played this style of MMO before. Also, for being a beginner you will find lots to do for about a month or so and then it will just be PVP. It's also free to play and you should be able to find all four games for under $100. Which makes it a good game to play in your spare time when you're bored of your other games like WoW and source.

RobbyP March 7, 2008 09:35 AM

I was a beta tester for Guild Wars, and then got invited with my clanmates into alpha-tester status. My alpha guild and I played through the original release, but we (along with several other alpha guilds) became fed up with NCSoft and their choices about the direction the game should move in post-launch. We left the game, and as a clan, we've never returned. I bought Nightfall a little while ago, and met up with some guys in other alpha guilds that were still playing. I have to say that after all this time I still love the game. The PVP in guild wars is phenomenol, but in fairness PVE is lacking.. seeing as this is a PVP-focused game. I can't wait for Guild Wars 2. I'm slowly working on converting my guilld back to GW in time for 2.

llama_egg March 7, 2008 10:05 AM

I still prefer WoW to Guild Wars, I have the first two, and they just bore my out quickly. I will admit, I had quite a bit of fun mixing and matching classes, but even then, it seemed like alot of combo's where just...well...bad. And truthfully, I would much rather see more items in Guild Wars, I miss the challenge of getting items that no one else has even seen on a server.

Dunno, it's a decent game, and I'll pick up Guild Wars 2 when it comes out, but in my honest opinion, the game still has a while to go.

Eldonko March 7, 2008 10:57 AM

I played for a week, found it boring, just not enough equipment, zones, and such for me. That was a while ago tho so I dunno what its like today.