Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Default Crysis 1 freezing up my whole computer.

Hello,

To get started I'll list my specs.

i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz (stock atm) w/ Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
ASUS GTX 570 DirecuII
8GB GDDR3 1600mhz
OCZ Vertex+ 60GB SSD
1TB WD Caviar Black
700 watt PSU OCZ ModXstream-Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

When I first built the rig Crysis ran fine for about 30 minutes? And it would freeze up my whole computer would freeze, tweaking around, turning off TPU, EPU etc and setting everything straight I was playing for about 2 hours thinking my problem was solved then it happened again, mind you I get about 70fps+ playing on Ultra high settings at 1920x1080 resolution.

While I play I keep HWMonitor on and monitor my CPU and GPU's temps to see if overheating ( on stock :S ) is the problem.. CPU would get to about 45 degrees while my GPU would get to max 60.. So I dont think Overheating is the problem..

Today I played again and It happened again. I'm kind of running out of places to turn to as to why Crysis is doing this. I've come to wonder maybe if its because I'm using Windows 7 64 bit? I run r_displayinfo 1 everytime I play Crysis to watch my FPS etc and it says It's running the 32 bit (this might be the cause? I'm not sure.. ) This doesnt happen on any other game so far. I play CSS, TF2, WoW and they all don't have this issue. It happened before in WoW, but I think the problem was because my 1TB HD ( where i keep my games etc ) would go into sleep mode(turn off when not in use ), so I went into the power options and set my HD's to never go into sleep mode and that seemed to fix that problem but the Crysis problem still occurs.

Mind you that this is a legit copy of Crysis and I am forced to use the disk. I was also thinking maybe my DVD drive maybe be causing it? I'm running out of options or things to point my finger at. I've made sure ALL my drivers are up to date by the way.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

I think the culprit might be your memory, you temps are really good, and your running at stock settings, and since you've been able to play 2hrs of Crysis without issues I doubt it'd be GPU related..

Chances are its your memory causing this issue, I've had a similar problem, and I had no idea what was causing it at first, I even ran Memtest 86+ and it passed.. But then I tested the memory sticks separately and I found that they were failing Memtest, I got new memory and games stopped crashing and it also passed memtest..

So If I were you I'd run Memtest86+ overnight :)

Anyway hope it works out for you...
Old September 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I second the memtest thing.

I also had issues with ram on the video card causing the same kind of problems on a 260GTX back then.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:19 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies I'll check out my RAM and update on whats going on. This is also happening to BF3, so it seems that its anything thats hardware intensive in general. WoW works fine for hours as well as Valve games ( TF2, CSS, etc ) but BF3 and Crysis have been doing this.

Would this help narrow it down? I'll go replace my RAM as they are still under warranty etc.
Old September 30, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeminence View Post
Thanks for the replies I'll check out my RAM and update on whats going on. This is also happening to BF3, so it seems that its anything thats hardware intensive in general. WoW works fine for hours as well as Valve games ( TF2, CSS, etc ) but BF3 and Crysis have been doing this.

Would this help narrow it down? I'll go replace my RAM as they are still under warranty etc.
fort some reason I don't think that ram is your issue, can you alt tab out of the game? might be a video driver issue , becasue if I remember correctly FPS games run different the a game like Wow.
how hot does your video card get when playing these games, I seem to remember that those video card get pretty hot.

how about stress testing your system that might narrow it down.
Old October 5, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Tempted to buy this on sale this week...is the Steam version fully patched?