Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2011, 06:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Exclamation I think ive had enough.

Hey guys,

hope everyone is keeping well.

Im in a situation,and have been for quite a while and would appreciate some feedback....

I use to be a keen PC gamer,But for a while now ive been thinking of selling my Gaming pc,Im just not enjoying games on the pc like i used too...to me they have all got boring and repetative,Maybe its me changing i dont know.

Got dead island the other day,which i thought would bring back the fun of pc gaming...did it hell.
BF3.. i tried the Alpha,Did not really impress me all that much same old same.

I have like an i7 3.8Ghz system,8GB of ram and a overclocked 6950 2gb and all i do lately is browse the net and listen to music...way overkill.

You guys think i should sell?
Anyone else felt like this? what did you do?
Old September 17, 2011, 06:33 AM
Allstar

Ive had my ups and Downs, WHat helps me, Is trying to play a console game, That makes me love my PC so much more again.
Old September 17, 2011, 06:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
Ive had my ups and Downs, WHat helps me, Is trying to play a console game, That makes me love my PC so much more again.

Hi,

I remember the good old days before i started pc gaming,back on the PS2 playing GTA and all that good stuff,Just pop in the disk and play no issues with Drivers,patches and games been tied to Steam accounts so you cant sell them again etc....thats what i miss the freedom.

Thats why i though about just selling my pc,Putting the money i get from that towards a new 42" TV and just using the Xbox for when i do get bored.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:26 AM
Allstar

I loved my PS2, Played it everyday growing up, But then i got my first computer And found RPGs and FPS games on the PC to be more full.

I understand where your comeing, with PC issues, But i just dont find playing games on a console nearly as good.

It might be that im away from the kids when im on my PC.

Sitting down trying to play something when Kids are around Is just Hell.

With a few of the New games coming out Im sure you can find something to spark your interest again, Unless their is something on the Xbox thats already got you, then your to far gone for us too Help.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well there's your problem right there. The last two games you played were incomplete (BF3 ALPHA) or the very very glitchy Dead Island. If you want to play some quality PC games that'll get you interested again on playing games on your computer would be a few of the following:
The Witcher series - its an RPG game for adults, based on a novel and brought to life by a Polish developer which gives you a different aspect on a mature/adult themes without the influence of NA companies/styles
Mass Effect series - Shooter RPG which is a lot of fun, great story line and rather good combat system. I know this can be played on the console, however having played them on both pc and 360, the pc just plays it a lot better
Dragon Age 1 - RPG game which is a lot of fun, great story line, combat system is pretty good, though inventory system is a little much. DA2 is quite good as well however some people have complained about its simplicity compared to DA1
Space Marine - Third person shooter which is essentially Gears on over drive 24/7. You can have 4 guns equiped at all times, doing different types of damage, as well as a melee weapon from a combat knife, to a chain sword, to a battle axe to a war hammer. These melee weapons are even more enjoyable when you get the jump pack (jet pack) during parts of the campaign. I know this is for console, but I've found this better on the PC.
Borderlands 1 (and eventually 2). Similiar to Mass Effect that its a shooter rpg, however you can play this solo or with up to 3 other people in a relatively open and very enjoyable environment. It also plays better on the PC then on the consoles.

There are just a list of a few games, that are of different types that have kept me PC gaming for quite a while right now. The ONLY reason I still have my 360 is because of the Gears series, if it wasn't for that I'd of sold it a few years ago when I stopped using it to play games other then Gears and NHL
Old September 17, 2011, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Got to agree with Arinoth, your not playing the right games. I'm 37 and been gaming for a long time, and its you just growing older. You grow more cynical and such. Try a few of the games out there now, or wait for some that are on the horizon. Guild I'm applying for has members in the SWTOR Beta, and been in it since the beginning. They are still going strong in the Beta and having fun with the game, and they can't wait for it to come out. I was in the beta weekend (for the Mods, NDA said we could say we were in the betas, but couldn't divulge specifics on what we saw).
Old September 17, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevakonaza View Post
Hi,

I remember the good old days before i started pc gaming,back on the PS2 playing GTA and all that good stuff,Just pop in the disk and play no issues with Drivers,patches ...[snip]
You don't get that anymore.

Ever since the XBOX / PS2 community got online the game quality went to shits. Developers know they can ship a pile of garbage and patch it on the consoles like they do on the PC.

The only thing that would change that is people boycotting a developer or a game.... and that's just not going to happen in our consumerist society. People HAVE TO HAVE IT.... even if they don't know why.
Old September 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
MVP
F@H

Find an alternative and give games a rest. Something temporary to tide you over until some better games come along - i.e. later in the fall and winter. I've never given up on the library and find a good book series more entertaining than most single player games. My local library also carries a good selection of DVDs.

There's a lot of games out there - MMOs, indie games, etc. that you may not even know about, or games of a completely different genre that you might prefer over the current crop of games

As long as you have a use for your computer, I wouldn't sell it. Something might come along.

I'd have to concur that the more recent games I've played don't seem to have the mileage the older ones had. I preferred Witcher 1 over Witcher 2; Dragon Age: Origins over Dragon Age 2, etc. I find the newer games include more cinematic 'fill' (cut scenes) than game play and are dumbed-down for the console market. While the graphics have improved immensely, I don't find the content as appealing - are they making movies or games?; I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth. I'll wait til I see bargain bin prices/reviews before buying rather than waste my time and money.
Old September 17, 2011, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have been PC gaming since the comodor 64 days and I have to say that this sort of things happens to everyone and sometimes just walking away from gaming and getting into the real world is good ( hehe) then just comeback and maybe try a totally different of gaming like mmorphs rpg maybe even get into games where you can build your own maps then let others join you in game to test the maps out. the gaming world is huge but the real world is better :)
Old September 17, 2011, 11:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'd agree with most of the previous posts; get a different kind of game. Don't get me wrong--exploding zombie heads is a good way to blow off some steam, but it does get old. +1 on Dragon Age Origins; best new game I'd played in a while. Portal 2 is also a blast, if you enjoy the humour. Gameplay is obviously a bit repetitive.

The other thing you could do is pull out an old classic. Every once in a while, Warcraft 2 or 3 comes out, of if I'm really in the dumps, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father. Great story game, revitalizes my love of gaming.

On the horizon, I'm personally excited for Skyrim, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and the new Batman game. Not particularly innovative and new, I'll admit, but I've loved the previous installments of all three franchises.