Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
Caldezar's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,689

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
On another site I visit they were saying it was about 8-10 hours on normal difficulty playing by themselves. Now for me it'll probably take 1.5 times as long as it would normally take me as sometimes my fiancee gets lost or I have to point out where ammo for her guns are (she's fine in combat, its getting around after and before she needs a seeing eye dog). We're playing it in arcade mode so I saw that it has the traditional 5 Acts we've come to expect from Gears.
Pretty sweet that you have someone to go through the game with on co-op, that always makes things more fun. Even if she loses her sense of direction in game.

8-10 hours is sorta what I expected. Seems to be the standard these days, although I heard that this one was supposed to be longer. I didn't realize that 'arcade' changed the layout of the acts. I was curious about the difference though. (I'm on Act 2, Chapter 2) I'm playing it through the 'regular' mode, not arcade. I read an interview that stated arcade was a more casual play-through, but wasn't sure how to take that.

Does anyone notice that this game is significantly more hectic than it's predecessors? GoW 1 and 2 also had their share of frantic gunning, but they seemed to be a lot more 'controlled' than this one. Although 3's gameplay is still linear in nature, it feels like you're more all over the place. (Could be what's contributing to Arinoth's wife getting lost.) Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think so as I just replayed the first two games a month back to prepare for this, so they're fresh in my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old September 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Pretty sweet that you have someone to go through the game with on co-op, that always makes things more fun. Even if she loses her sense of direction in game.

8-10 hours is sorta what I expected. Seems to be the standard these days, although I heard that this one was supposed to be longer. I didn't realize that 'arcade' changed the layout of the acts. I was curious about the difference though. (I'm on Act 2, Chapter 2) I'm playing it through the 'regular' mode, not arcade. I read an interview that stated arcade was a more casual play-through, but wasn't sure how to take that.

Does anyone notice that this game is significantly more hectic than it's predecessors? GoW 1 and 2 also had their share of frantic gunning, but they seemed to be a lot more 'controlled' than this one. Although 3's gameplay is still linear in nature, it feels like you're more all over the place. (Could be what's contributing to Arinoth's wife getting lost.) Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think so as I just replayed the first two games a month back to prepare for this, so they're fresh in my mind.
Arcade doesn't change the order, it just shows you how many acts there are and which act to select (that you've beaten already).

It's suppose to be a bit more hectic, the GOG is no more, they are on their last legs fighting for their lives, really the whole world has turned to shit and time is running out for the COG. She got lost in the first two games so its nothing new
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old September 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON
Posts: 110

My System Specs

Default

Been loving Gears 3 too!

I havent touched Campaign yet - have been diggin into MP. I missed that intense adrenaline rush that no other games deliver.
__________________
SOLD:
Tritton AX Pro (mchutch)
Logitech Harmony 520 (Phill)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old September 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,883

My System Specs

Default

Anybody else experiencing <30FPS performance? There's been some spots where it's gotten pretty laggy.

I have the "old" 360 though but I installed GoW to the hard drive.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old September 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
headsh0t's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,565

My System Specs

Default

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old September 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Caldezar's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,689

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Anybody else experiencing <30FPS performance? There's been some spots where it's gotten pretty laggy.

I have the "old" 360 though but I installed GoW to the hard drive.
Negative. I've beat the campaign now amd never had any issues. Can't speak for multiplayer or coop though.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old September 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

I haven't noticed any spots where it was laggy, though I did have a partial freeze for a few seconds where it seemed the 360 couldn't keep up with the cutscene in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old September 24, 2011, 04:15 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,883

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I haven't noticed any spots where it was laggy, though I did have a partial freeze for a few seconds where it seemed the 360 couldn't keep up with the cutscene in the game.
Yeah that happens a fair amount for me too.

The one part was at the fort at Anvil Gate with the horde coming in. Got pretty laggy there. It's happened in other spots too but not as bad as that section.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old September 24, 2011, 04:37 PM
Caldezar's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,689

My System Specs

Default

I won't post any details so I don't spoil anything, but has anyone else beat the game and figured they've left enough unanswered questions about the past to release a prequel sometime in the future? That's where I see the series going at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old September 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I won't post any details so I don't spoil anything, but has anyone else beat the game and figured they've left enough unanswered questions about the past to release a prequel sometime in the future? That's where I see the series going at this point.
Yes and no, what I've played through so far hints at a lot of stuff that was explained and outlined by the official Gears of Wars novels.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gears Of War 2 - Help? mjpd1983 Gaming 4 November 19, 2010 03:27 PM
[FS] Spring cleaning! h2o gears as well t_mo_t Buy/Sell & Trade 24 July 25, 2010 10:22 PM
Gears of War PC - Problem Frost Gaming 6 October 8, 2008 10:08 PM
Gears of War for PC! abs0Lut Gaming 4 November 12, 2007 05:01 PM