Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Tough choice...

Since pc gaming is pretty much dying...I'm considering looking at some of the next-gen consoles. I'm kinda sick of seeing every year putting my money into my beloved pc who after a couple of months will not go on high details at x game...
Plus most of the good games are first released on consoles...Believe that p2p sharing has a monster action in that...Gta IV isn't even announced to be released on the pc.
So let's say I get an E8400 or an Q6600 plus 3870...the next year I'm gonna have to change them again, and again..and again..
Mwell, a lot of you are gonna say to make the effort and go for the upgrade, i'm on a pc forum duh...but, isn't the console more logical?..or not?
I've seen the ps3 costs 400bucks ..that is pretty much doable..xcept the graphics will suck on my monitor..
Old February 17, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
Since pc gaming is pretty much dying...I'm considering looking at some of the next-gen consoles. I'm kinda sick of seeing every year putting my money into my beloved pc who after a couple of months will not go on high details at x game...
Plus most of the good games are first released on consoles...Believe that p2p sharing has a monster action in that...Gta IV isn't even announced to be released on the pc.
So let's say I get an E8400 or an Q6600 plus 3870...the next year I'm gonna have to change them again, and again..and again..
Mwell, a lot of you are gonna say to make the effort and go for the upgrade, i'm on a pc forum duh...but, isn't the console more logical?..or not?
I've seen the ps3 costs 400bucks ..that is pretty much doable..xcept the graphics will suck on my monitor..
I own a ps3 and it sits collecting dust cause when I play the games they look like utter crap on my ancient 27" tv.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Voila. 1 - 0 pc...

Yeah thought about the graphics but what will become of pc gaming? Are you happy buying every year pc components?..Well If I had a job I would prolly but since I'm a student this idea doesn't really smile to me if you know what I mean..
And omg no sucky lag on ps3..
Old February 17, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
Voila. 1 - 0 pc...

Yeah thought about the graphics but what will become of pc gaming? Are you happy buying every year pc components?..Well If I had a job I would prolly but since I'm a student this idea doesn't really smile to me if you know what I mean..
And omg no sucky lag on ps3..
Well the difference is that my tv is from 1994 and is a crt where my pc screen is LCD and no matter what it'll always look good :P

Mind you I'd like to upgrade to a 22" WS but I can't seem to get rid of my 19" NON-WS for a fair price :(
Old February 17, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My love still stays with the pc..more practicable but god damn those new gpus that come every year and less good games for pc...Argh.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

I really wouldn't say PC gaming is dieing, it's actually still out in large, and all the data you see for games bought seem to leave out the online sector. Also, for graphics wise, I'll admit, the PS3 is pretty, but saying that, I would love to see the thing to try and run crysis. Don't get me wrong, games like the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 4 look drop dead gorgeous, but it still doesn't have the power which an good PC does. Speaking of which, having a computer that won't run games on the highest setting? My computer is no slouch, but it's nothing that blows specs out of the water; but yet, to date, I can play every game on the highest settings, other the Crysis, which I can only run on high.

As for money wise, yes, if you look at it from a money perspective, a console is the better way to go, which the current gen costing roughly 300-400, which will last for likely the next couple of years before you have to replace it. While a computer on the other hand, to keep up to date, an upgrade is required roughly every 6 months.

Third, the modding community is non-existence in the console world, and modding is what can turn a good game, into a great game. Without said tools, we would have never had Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, Counter Stike, among others high end market games. And while it is getting better for consoles, as companies are now adding simple map editors, it still doesn't hold a light to what PC's can do.

Fourth, playing right off the disc is something that is quite lovely. Mind you, after installing games for the last 10 years, it doesn't really bother me, but non the less, the ability to stick the disc in and get playing, normally without even needing to patch is a blessing. Remember though, while PC's can't plug and play, we do normally get the better end of the loading times.

I could continue on if you really wish. Truthfully, comparing consoles to PC's is like comparing apples to pineapples, other then both having apple in the name, they are still completely different machines. And no, I'm not standing for one side over the other, I own consoles and I own PC's, both of which I use on a normal basis.

And before I forget, I just noticed the "no lag", I'm sorry to say, I've seen lag on the PS3, just like PC's, it has to do with your internet provider.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

People have been saying that PC gaming is dying for YEARS- I do predict that in mainstream gaming of the future, the software will be remote and accessed over the internet- I hear they have the internet on computers now

Last edited by Babrbarossa; February 17, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

PC Gaming will never die.

Still more fun to buy a decent computer and a game than a console and tv :P

PS3/360 are useless on anything less than a 46" widescreen HDTV and who has the money to afford that :D
Old February 18, 2008, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Consoles are definitely making an impact on the gaming market in a huge way. Hardly any PC exclusive titles or PC ported to console games anymore, it's almost always the other way around. So you end up with SCDA (lookin at you Ubisoft) and many other titles.

If cost is your concern then get a console. It's a one time investment of $300-$400 and you'll get years of gaming out of it without a single hardware upgrade. But know that PC gaming is not dieing... it is just changing. Probably a smaller more niche market than it once was but not dieing.

Crysis is an anomaly and should not be treated as the industry standard for hardware requirements. Any other game out there I can MAX out no problem at 1680x1050. I had to spend $300 to upgrade my gfx card to be able to do this though. My old 7900GS was starting to show it's limits. I played the COD 4 and MOHA demos on it with almost MAX settings IIRC but I am a gfx whore so I need eye candy.

You can always lower settings to get games to run better as you know. And Crysis can look pretty nice even on Medium settings (more like Farcry) and play very well on a 7900GS.

If I were you I'd probably just get a console for now. When you are done school and have a steady job you get back into PC gaming with all the $$ you'll be making :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'll think about it but mostly I think I'm going to make another upgrade in this summer...I'm not really the kind of guy who sits comfortably with a xbox or ps3 controller..and its only gaming,pcs...multitasking and I gotta say that I love that..
Mostly I gotta change my mobo, cpu, gpu + another 2gb ram and another hdd..
That will go till something like 800$, if I'm lucky to sell the ones I owe right now I'll add some scratch and voila..
Right now I didn't even finish Call of duty 4, the witcher and gears of war..
Since I don't wanna make another thread, how much do you guys think I can get outta there: Asus M2N-E, Amd Athlon 64 X2 4600+, Arctic freezer 64 pro, XFX 7900GS ?
About 11 months old..
LE: about the hdtv thingie..I rarely sit down and watch tv shows or stuff when Im bored..and a good 46" is more like 1800-2000? plus the 500 console..2700-2800 and plus minimum a game..mm