Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2011, 05:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Not even like gears of war. Unlike GoW you're not a pansy over muscular wannabe that can't take a shot. You're a walking god in Space Marine.
I quite enjoy the GoW series however what jackie said is completely correct. There is no use of cover system, you go head first into every battle (or you can just use your guns with ammo you have to periodically pick up) to kill things.

You can die if you're not careful and get overwhelmed (or play on hard), however it is still a rather fun and different experience on most games today that reward stealth, cover or both rather then going in a blazing and kicking some ass.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Loving the game here as well. I'm much farther than you (judging by the weapons), but I'm really enjoying the game so far. Just wait until you get the hammer weapon (doubt that this is a spoiler as it's in the manual), and you'll understand what it feels like to be a god on earth

If I had to choose one thing that irks me though, is the fact that there is no change in facial expression on your character (Titus, I think?) whenever he's hacking and slashing at people. Some teeth baring or a yelling expression would've made this game that much more immersive and awesome.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

They really need to do an RTS for the original Warhammer that isn't that POS X-box version.

This however looks promising , so I'm gonna check it out.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 7, 2011, 10:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Loving the game here as well. I'm much farther than you (judging by the weapons), but I'm really enjoying the game so far. Just wait until you get the hammer weapon (doubt that this is a spoiler as it's in the manual), and you'll understand what it feels like to be a god on earth

If I had to choose one thing that irks me though, is the fact that there is no change in facial expression on your character (Titus, I think?) whenever he's hacking and slashing at people. Some teeth baring or a yelling expression would've made this game that much more immersive and awesome.
I'm looking forward to the hammer as I absolutely love the chain saw, wish the execute wasn't as long but it definitely gives you a lot more health back then the combat knife does
Old September 7, 2011, 07:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Tried the demo earlier via Steam, it's definitely fun, but it feels like an unpolished Gears of War. Still good, but I think I'll just wait for Gears 3 to be out (which I've already preordered).

I am a big Gears of War fan, so it's tough to sway me any other way, since I do consider it one of my favourite shooter series.
Old September 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Tried the demo earlier via Steam, it's definitely fun, but it feels like an unpolished Gears of War. Still good, but I think I'll just wait for Gears 3 to be out (which I've already preordered).

I am a big Gears of War fan, so it's tough to sway me any other way, since I do consider it one of my favourite shooter series.
How can you even consider them in the same league? In Gears your big badass whom isn't nearly invincible, needing to use the cover system and surroundings to not get killed. In Space Marine you are badass whom is nearly invincible, regenerating your health when you execute your enemies, not have it slowly trickle back when not getting shot at. There is absolutely no cover system, you have a shield and your health. 1 of 4 weapons to use at the time, a handle full of grenades, and about 4 different types of melee weapons to wreck havok on some orks. Did I mention you get a jump pack (jet pack) and a big ass hammer at some point?

Remember I love the Gears series, Space Marines is in a different gaming category then it.
Old September 7, 2011, 08:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't think so, it's a very similar style of game, just more of a hack and slash version of Gears.
Again, entertaining, but not nearly to the same level as the Gears series. Not that it has any bearing, I started collecting Warhammer 40k like 15 years ago or so, actually had the Ultra Marines too. :)

But anyway that's just my opinion.
Old September 8, 2011, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Updated original thread with a compelling review of the game
Old September 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anyone here tried multiplayer yet? I quite enjoy it (just got to lvl 22 in two days' playtime ).
Old September 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just finished the campaign. I enjoyed it quite a bit, some levels felt a bit repetitive but the story was very compelling and fun. Looking forward to what's next for Captain Titus