Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2011, 10:27 PM
Allstar

Default Wing Commander 1+2

FYI, Good Old Games got WC 1 & 2 for $6 USD. Brings back a bit of childhood memories.
Old August 26, 2011, 12:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

freespace and freespace 2 (theres a mod out there that updates the graphics and its well worth that upgrade - for freespace 2)

plus the community makes mods for it now. you can replay freespace 1 with the mods for FS 2
Old August 26, 2011, 05:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

God, those were the days. Too bad MS isn't allowing the Starlancer series to be sold at GoG.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I get confused all the time between these games. I remember playing one space shooter about 10 years ago (?) that I really enjoyed, until my PC crashed and I lost the save game. That sucked. I think it was either Starlance or Freespace. My gut says Freespace, I'm going to have to go look it up now. Thanks :)
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 26, 2011, 07:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I still remember the good old days before GoG when Freespace 2 and Imperium Galactica 2 were going for $500+ on EBay. It showed that people still craved space shooters.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It was definitely Freespace. I dug through my 'old cd' box and found a copy of FS2. Gonna give it a go again!

Its really too bad this series got left behind in the great Interplay fiasco. An updated engine and storyline for 'Freespace 3' would be high on my list of games to buy.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

do those work on windows 7, never could get my old copy of wing commander 2 running on my old xp machine. Wing commander 2 special operations (think that was it) was one of my first ever games
Old August 26, 2011, 11:39 PM

My System Specs

If these games will run in Windows w/ modern joysticks then I'll grab them all. Privateer is in my top 5 games of all time. The other 4 happen to be all Origin Systems games as well.
Old August 27, 2011, 01:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
do those work on windows 7, never could get my old copy of wing commander 2 running on my old xp machine. Wing commander 2 special operations (think that was it) was one of my first ever games
You could try using DOSBox which what GoG uses and it's free to use. MS got a good track record of killing decent games, just look at MechWarrior! Thank god someone is working on Mech 5. Spacelancer was a great game with an open ending and MS just blahed it out with Freelancer's storyline.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
... Privateer is in my top 5 games of all time.
I have Privateer here in the box with all the floppys. Too bad I don't have a working floppy drive around anymore.