Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 05:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Red Orchestra 2

Save 10% on Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad on Steam

What do you guys think of it? It seems like a very good game, but I'm afraid it's gonna die out early like the first one. I was considering pre-ordering it, but then I wouldn't have enough for BF3. =\
Old August 18, 2011, 10:39 PM
Top Prospect

If you want to preorder don't use Steam, GMG is much cheaper, the game uses Steamworks so you get a key that activates on Steam anyways -

use one of the following 20% off coupon codes - 20PEC-TWEET-SAVER , SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC , 20PEC-FACEB-SAVER, 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS (this is the newest one, others might still work as well)

Red Orchestra 2 - $33.95 - 20% = $27.16
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad | Action | PC Games

Red Orchestra 2 Deluxe - $42.45 - 20% = $33.96
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Digital Deluxe Edition | Action | PC Games

Referal Linked Removed
(Arinoh)

I bought the regular edition, got the key right away and it is activated on Steam already.

Last edited by Arinoth; August 19, 2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old August 19, 2011, 05:07 AM
da_bradler

I pre-ordered the deluxe and am banging my head against the wall waiting for the Beta. I got the 20% off for owning the first game. I'm hoping this will be the go to 2nd game for the huge influx of PC gamers coming for BF3.

I think this is going to be the go to game for competetive people. Counter Strike:Go looks like a joke I'm not sure what's going to be compete with it. Battlefield 3 coming out is going to help it more than anything I think. BF3 is 60 bucks and I think that price is going to hold high like a CoD game. Red orchestra 2 is 40 bucks and with discounts is almost 20. it'll probably be 20 bucks or less the first major steam sale that hits.

I think this game is going to be around a while... I hope at least. Red Orchestra 1 had some serious flaws most notably empty maps. Hopefully the new Attack and Defend game modes and dynamically sizing maps(per player count) solves those issues.

I'm grinding my teeth. people say the learning curve is going to be steep, but I dunno I play a lot of Bad Company 2 and people who have 100 hours or less in that game are effing terrible. BF takes a pretty long time to get good at, they just front load all the rewards to take the edge off sucking so bad. RO2 seems to be following a bit in those footsteps with the unlockables, but the consquences for getting hit are so much higher I think it might suffer a bit like starcraft does, where people are so scared of losing they don't even turn the game on.
Old August 19, 2011, 05:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ugh, I'm really tempted to pre-order this, but popularity doesn't seem to be too high...
Old August 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This game should win shooter of the year but will probably not. And Red Orchestra 1 is not empty at all. There are still servers that get full. I love Red Orchestra and this game looks like it will be the most innovative FPS this year. All other FPS games are just copying themselves with better graphics. Sure BF3 is gonna be awesome but it isn't adding anything new.

I seriously hope this game sells well but we all know COD MW3 is gonna be the number 1 selling piece of crap this year.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 7, 2011, 05:18 AM
da_bradler

Man, I'm in the beta after about a week and 30 hours i gotta say this game is gonna be around for a while. The map fallen fighters is probably one of the best maps I've ever played in a FPS.

Think Day of Defeat: Source but less arcade, slowed down, and increased an order of magnitude in scope.

Something about this game is special, moving in this game is fun, just running from location to location trying to inch your way forward around flanks into dominating positions.

Game scales to large spaces really well, bullets have a dominating influence in infantry battles(no hand opperated rockets), gernade usage is fairly limited due to small splash and a few other factors. Tanks and artillery are much more influencial than in battlefield. Tanks are pretty hard to handle at the moment.(and pretty buggy)

I have no idea how it's going to run though, so far in the beta it runs terribly. They are aparently having some sort of bug that is affecting i5/i7s and phenom IIs. which is sorta like everyone, it's causing things to underpreform. I hope it's fixed by release.

Lots of small maps though, really reminds me of Enemy territory the most and an opened up version of Day of Defeat. very few choke points, not a lot of coming at people from behind, most of the dominating comes from crushing flanks.

Point based system is heavily weighted towards teamwork, killing from an objective area gives +3 killing someone in an objective area gives +2, just killing gives +1. so you get 5 times as many points for killing on the point. Some snipers can end up in the bottom 1/3rd of the score board and still have the most kills. Deaths aren't tracked at all as far as I can tell, at least you can't see other players deaths.

I'm a big fan of battlefield and love the oppertunties for team work in that game, but the way things typically go is teamwork just sorta happens, things happen so fast, most of the teamwork is most easily expressed through the use of abilities or devices(motion balls, repair tool, med pack). There really isn't a lot that can be communicated, teamwork just sorta happens, and the team that is most consious of other players wins.

Red Orchestra teamwork has an oppertunity to be a lot different and more direct, the pace of the game is slowed, positioning is more important. You kill so quickly that holding down areas is much more possible, in battlefield the immediate engagement is almost always more important than where you are. The only way to quickly kill people in battlefield is with a sniper headshot, otherwise there is almost always time for a player to react after being shot and beat you on reflex, this is the key difference. There are commander and squad leader roles that have real meaning, allowing them to instruct other players actually has an ability to really change the game. There is a grid based map system built into the game and it makes it very easy to direct people.

Competitively this game feels made for clans, a team that takes direction could dominate a team with higher skilled individuals. Individual skill matters, but I'd say Red orchestra is more like Football where battlefield is more like basketball and Call of duty is like doubles tennis. When you look at competitive gaming battlefield, call of duty, and Halo those games really only work 4v4. Red Orchestra 2 is designed from the ground up to be competetive 32v32 or 16v16. Overall I don't think this is going to be a game for players like Fatality.
Old September 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is why I love the Red Orchestra series as it is slow enough to be tactical and far more team based. Even in Battlefield 3 alpha I can go lone wolf and be dominating but this game it is harder to dominate. Sniping in this game is soo much better, better as it is more difficult.

Here is a good video on sniping
Red Orchestra 2 Beta: Sniper Gameplay - YouTube

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old September 7, 2011, 07:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

*Sigh* Looks like I'm not getting it. The ONLY class I'd use in that game is sniper...
Old September 8, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can still be a sniper if you are a higher rank than the other sniper.

I am SO happy that they put restrictions on classes as I hate joining a BFBC2 server when half of the attacking rush team are snipers.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old September 8, 2011, 06:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
You can still be a sniper if you are a higher rank than the other sniper.

I am SO happy that they put restrictions on classes as I hate joining a BFBC2 server when half of the attacking rush team are snipers.
Yeah, but I probably won't be that high of rank, seeing as this seems a lot like ARMA2 and I sucked at ARMA2. Plus, I don't have experience from the first one. Also, this is why I love COD. QS/NS all day, everyday.