Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
You clearly haven't come across a decent staff mesmer or longbow ranger if you haven't gotten owned by range. A ranged weapon set is critical for all classes but the thief. (especially warrior/guardian/ranger) Even then a pistol offhand is pretty beneficial for the extra teleport.
With 10% bonus movespeed, 3 ways to go into stealth with two of them healing me for a total of 3 heals (I set my underwater heal to a different skill so when I jump into water it is off cooldown), an immobilization and a cripple for 50% I really don't have a problem getting away from anyone... No to mention worst case scenario you roll of a cliff. I got a lot of kills by rolling off a cliff, stealthing at the bottom. Safe to say it is possible to get away from anyone if you use the landscape properly.

I think the problem a lot of people are having is they want to initiate right away at which point they will get kited. You need to bate their skills out that get them away/knock you away and take a bit of damage and then jump in. Melee does easily twice as much damage as range so if you take a bunch of damage it is still worth it to get a good initiation. Especially as a thief where you can hit haste stealth and then crit them in the back for 6k followed by your epic skill which will reflect anything they try and hit you with, while damaging and slowing them.

The more I talk the more I think maybe the thief needs balancing, but then I remember what guardians do to me. Thieves can't do much against guardians but they can crush those squishy casters and rangers. Thieves counter range, guardians and warriors counter thieves. Engineers built a certain way are a big pain in the ass too but they can't kill you, you just can't kill them either.

My set up is dual daggers and pistol-dagger (pistol being main hand). Always gotta have that slow and and stealth in 4 and 5. Skill three helps get out of bad fights too, use that and stealth and by the time they see you, you are long gone.

I actually plan on playing a staff mesmer on release.

Last edited by JJThomp; April 30, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
You clearly haven't come across a decent staff mesmer or longbow ranger if you haven't gotten owned by range. A ranged weapon set is critical for all classes but the thief. (especially warrior/guardian/ranger) Even then a pistol offhand is pretty beneficial for the extra teleport.
That was my issue, I was warrior vs a mesmer. I can honestly say I did not see many, if any, thieves on Deldrimor PvE or WvW. Though WvW is so chaotic it is hard to tell.

You definitely need a ranged set if you are defending a base in WvW.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I didn't get an e-mail about it and it isn't on the GW2 websites front page so I decided to post it here directly from the forums.

We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).
This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts. With your help, we can conduct important tests and address some of the issues we identified during our first Beta Weekend Event. During this event, all you need to do is play normally with a new or existing character on your Beta account using the same game client. Please note that since this is a stress test of our servers, you may experience some in-game performance issues. If you’ve pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and wish to participate in the stress test, we recommend that you register the account and download the game client.
Pre-Purchase customers, log in to the Beta Forums for more information and/or to download the Beta client if needed.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...Started/169235
Having issues logging in? Contact Support: https://support.guildwars2.com/
Old May 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the heads up JJThomp
Old May 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Too bad its during working hours :( Central time 7:30 to 5 add the drive means zero stress time :( Have fun if you can play
Old May 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah it's 8AM - 3PM EDT, when I originally saw it I was adding 3 instead of subtracting 3. Oh well.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Want your old name from GW1? You can!

Reserving Your Character Name for Guild Wars 2 – ArenaNet Blog

Good thinking.
Old June 2, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Another beta weekend upcoming June 8-10.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I logged on to GW2 for the first time during today's "server stress" test.

I had the graphics settings maxed at 1650x1080, and played through the human city folk starter quest which had about ~4-10 entities in combat at any given time.

For a game in "beta" stages + no driver optimizations yet, I have to say my experience with my stock i5 2500k and factory OC'd GTX 550Ti (970 core) was pretty good. I couldn't find the FPS counter but generally the action was smooth but it stuttered when the projectiles (or characters) went flying. When the driver optimizations kick in I can easily see the game being smooth on a lowly 550Ti or equivalent at max without AA settings.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

launch date set 08/28/12 Final beta July 20-22 FINALLY!!!!!!