Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2012, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
sounds like there is no risk to dying and no reward for killing. Looks like this game is not for me. :P
Have you checked out path of exile?

Action rpg similair to D2 (not D3) in many ways. I'm just waiting for it to go into open beta before I start spending a lot of time on it again. It's been in closed beta for over a year now though
Old September 9, 2012, 01:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

How do you guys level so fast ? Not even 20 yet, although I'm not playing that much, maybe 1-2 hours in the weekend.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm level 13 or so on a thief and maybe 8 on another character. Been spending most of my time playing mechwarrior online and maybe an hour or so at a time with this with friends. Also finding leveling to be painfully slow :(
Old September 9, 2012, 05:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been off work for the last week (strep throat :( ) so i've had too much time to level. I hit lvl 76 on my ranger last night
Old September 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Clearing maps (finding waypoints, POIs, tasks, etc...) along with the daily "achievement" stuff gives quite a bit of xp. Taking part in events also grants a lot of xp, in some areas the events will chain with other events fairly quickly and you can get a lot of xp.

Obviously doing your primary quest line grants a lot of xp as well.
Old September 9, 2012, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm level 29, and I've been playing since the head-start weekend. My levelling pace is actually slowed since I'm trying to gather low-level crafting materials. Yep you won't be able to max the PvE level on a character in a day (like you could with Guild Wars: Factions) without some exploits or someone giving you a ridiculous amount of crafting materials.
I'm OK with the levelling pace, because the game doesn't require you to be a certain level to have fun. What I don't like though, is that weapons and armor crafting levels works even slower than the XP-based levelling. The crafting materials are only available in certain levelled areas - in particular, low level crafting materials needed to get you through the "novice" crafting level are only available in low-level areas. This (at least for me) is creating a grind for crafting materials in low-level areas. This is unlike GW1 where a tanned hide square from a lvl 1 mob is the same as one from a lvl 25 mob, although the lvl 25 mob would drop more of them. I'd actually appreciate a mechanic to "downgrade" crafting materials so you don't have to worry about getting a whole bunch of crafting mats you can't use.
My opinion on crafting seems to be backed by the way low-level crafting materials (copper, jute scrap, green wood, rawhide leather) are in high demand in the trading post, pushing their prices higher than any similar drops you can get in those areas.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm level 10 on my thief... I think I have like 2.5 hours of play done lol
Old September 9, 2012, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

Initial Leveling feels a bit slower in GW2, however the amount of exp required to reach the next level does not grow rapidly later on like in most MMOs. Further, grinding mobs is THE least efficient ways to level. Reviving players/npcs gets you more! Take a look at Experience - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) the wiki to get a sense for what gives experience. Events are going to be what provide you a large chunk of your experience, take part in as many of them as you can, even if they might be a few levels higher than you or you have to abandon an area to get to it. (Events are to players like shinies are to Skritt.)

The important thing to remember is that GW2 was not designed to facilitate a quick level to 80, (however it doesn't do too bad at that with the pretty linear experience requirements) but to make every level along the way fun and enjoyable.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Areas with a long storyline+event chain usually level you the fastest. (like Gendarran Fields) Dungeons and zerg-leeching in WvW also levels you pretty quickly. But even then the level scaling is horrible, you can't play straight through the main storylines without doing the side stuff first.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah Gendarran fields is where I was yesterday. Started with the Kol boss and continued on. Quite a number of events in that chain.