Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2012, 08:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I am curious what WoW has that GW2 doesn't that results in a non lasting appeal?
I guess that WoW, over time, created some kind of prestige around player/achivement/guilds/mounts/items that you can get if you played for years, that you can't find in GW2, as it's only 1 week old. It should be the same for GW2, thought I don't know at which point yet.
Old August 31, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thing is with the individual storylines, if you play a different class and choose different race/quest/personality lines each time there are thousands of potential "unique" stories. So technically the game has way more replay value than the rest of the MMO's out there. The problem is the sidequests/dynamic events remain the same and those are required for leveling, and you can't progress with the main stories (which are pretty good) unless you're within 5 levels of the recommended level. (difficulty is too high) Lower level areas also don't get easier when you're high level as your level gets nerfed to the level of your specific area.

The PvP on the other hand is another story.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I only have 2 complaints with the game so far. 1, the trading post being broken. How long does it actually take to fix this? It was up and running in the beta. 2, Got into a group and tried the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon and talk about way over powered monsters. You get debuffed(if that's a word lol) down to lvl 30 and it seems every monster was at least twice your level. We made it all the way to the end after dieing so many times we lost count. And what do we get? Dual mesmers that buff and heal each other ffs! End rant...
Old September 3, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can anyone give me some info in GW2. I would possibly try playing this but not if it's 100% carebear. What are the risks/rewards for PvP?

Also is it an endless line of quests in which you are pretty much set on a linear path?
Old September 3, 2012, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
What are the risks/rewards for PvP?
At this point, other then seeing your name on a tournament winners board, I haven't seen any rewards. There is no better gear, didn't notice any titles, mounts, vanity items etc.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
At this point, other then seeing your name on a tournament winners board, I haven't seen any rewards. There is no better gear, didn't notice any titles, mounts, vanity items etc.
any loot?
Old September 4, 2012, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Winning PvP battles (along with a couple other things) get you Glory. Glory is used to unlock PvP equipment.

Essentially it is cosmetic, GW2 (like GW1) PvP is set up to be balanced. So everyone gets max dmg weapons and max armour equipment. The difference, in theory, comes from skill not equipment.
Old September 4, 2012, 05:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
any loot?
As thorn said, it is just a different look. But the gear has no requirement other then glory. which you get out of normal battlegrounds. not sure how much more you get from the tourney though. Haven't had a chance to step in.
Old September 4, 2012, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

sounds like there is no risk to dying and no reward for killing. Looks like this game is not for me. :P
Old September 4, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
sounds like there is no risk to dying and no reward for killing. Looks like this game is not for me. :P
There is risk for dying if you die a lot in sPvP you lose and it can be very expensive to repair equipment especially in WvW. The reward for killing is looking badass. There is no constant gear treadmill like diablo III (a huge reason why the game is failing make up for lack of content with grind). Honestly the reward for killing is having fun, a lot better than finding some shitty gear repeatedly.

Honestly there is no sub fee and I guarantee you will get your $60 worth just from playing through one races story line (which actually varies from character to character). This game is about being rewarded with unique content instead of the ability to farm the same old content faster.