Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It has an extreme learning curve. I played almost 2000 League of Legends games, and I felt like I was playing a brand new game when I started DOTA2. Items are a lot more confusing, a lot more to manage as well.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
Allstar

Yeah it seems so unbalanced, the bots level up so fast. I guess you really need to have played the first one. Or Valve is planning to include a much easier tutorial mode.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

One thing you'll get used to is that it's rare for everyone to actually hit max level in any given game. There are times when I've had a hero at least 7-8 levels lower than some of the opponents, but that doesn't make me any less useful. Just need to be more careful on what I choose to do.

For Lol Players out there wondering what some of the big differences are, I can think of a few:

1. Attack animations

A lot of heroes in DOTA2 have a windup animation for attacking. If we take Frost Archer as an example, when you right click on something, it takes a short time for her to actually pull back on her bow and then fire, rather than say LoL's Ashe, where it's just about instantly when you right click. Attack speed or Agility (which gives attack speed) does help improve this, but in the early game people tend to complain that they feel sluggish. This also leads to...

2. Turn rate

I think I hear Lol players complain about this more than anything. If you are running in one direction, and then rightclick below you, your character has to turn their entire body around before proceeding to move in the opposite direction. This is done pretty quickly, but it's not as instant as it is in LoL. The reason for this is part game mechanic, and partially because one hero relies on it: Batrider. He has an ability that slows your turn rate, meaning that you can run full speed, but if you even try to deviate from a straight line, you'll slow down.

3. Stats

This is one thing done away with in Lol for simplicity reasons (i'm sure Guinsoo or Pendragon or whoever used to be from DOTA had good intentions for this). Every character has 3 stats: Strength, Agility and Intelligence. Strength determines your health, and health regeneration. Agility determines your attack speed and armor. Intelligence increases mana pool, and mana pool regeneration.

Each hero is assigned to one of these stats, and that stat determines how much damage you do on auto attacks. Now you can probably tell, but in LoL almost all of those are just given on items, but in DOTA most items give stats, and you have to put 2 and 2 together to figure out how much it will actually benefit you. Some items still do give hard increases to a certain area, but usually they will be accompanied by more stats. It might feel weird building strength items on an intelligence hero, but the game was designed around that flexibility. There are less cookie-cutter builds than LoL tends to have.

4. Abilities don't scale

I take #2 back, this is what LoL players probably complain about the most. There is no AP. Abilities do not scale (with exceptions). Your rank 2 Q ability will always do the same amount of damage at level 4, as it will at level 24 or more. The reason they changed this in LoL was because they felt abilities didn't compare to hard attack-based carries in the late game. The thing with DOTA abilities is that they are so varied in nature the majority of them don't need scaling. Some of them are downright goofy, which leads me to 5.

5. Everything is broken.

You are going to have multiple matches where you just ask yourself: "Holy *$&*ing @#$& ^@(#er why did they let that stay in", and the answer is: "Because there's always a way to beat it". DOTA and LoL have two very different balancing mentalities. Riot believes that anything that can even be slightly viewed as overpowered be nerfed into the ground, and they'll slowly buff it up as other "overpowered" abilities get nerfed into the ground as well. The Valve DOTA2 mentality, is "Only nerf/patch it if it's causing a genuine unwinnable imbalance or unintended situation/bug. Situations like "Pudge with Blink Dagger". Pudge has an ability comparable to Blitzcrank's Grab. Blink Dagger allows you to flash a fair distance. Blink in between the trees, hook someone with Pudge, then blink out. Your opponent is now stuck. That's an unwinnable imbalance, so Pudge can no longer buy Blink Dagger. They didn't say "Damn this item is broken on one hero, we need to nerf it into the ground". They just restrict that hero from buying it.

Another fun example was Rubick. Rubick has a very unique spell in that he can "steal" a copy of the last spell the chosen enemy hero cast, granting him use of it for a limited time (about 3-5 minutes depending on rank). The hero Sniper has an ult where he targets an enemy at a far range, waits for 1.7 seconds, then fires off a fairly mid-high damage shot. You can compare it to Caitlyn's ult, but this one can't be blocked by other heroes. Well when Rubick was released, when he copied this spell, he didn't have the 1.7 second cast time. He would instacast it. At rank 3 Sniper's ult has a 10 second cooldown, and Rubick has a much larger mana pool than Sniper, leading to a very unfair situation where this random little mage was firing instant sniper shots every 10 seconds from outside your visual range. That was an "unintended situation", so they fixed that. Speaking of mana pools...

6. Mana Pools

Holy hell is the mana situation bad for some heroes. And I mean bad. For Lol players, imagine going AD Sion levels of mana starvation, but even worse. But again, this is by design. This was to prevent people just spam casting their abilities whenever they're up, due to how broken these abilities were or can be on the given hero. Skeleton King has a 2 second stun that costs 140 mana. His starting mana pool is 160, and mana regen is INCREDIBLY low in this game. So you're look at throwing one stun before you're completely drained. However, given the right lane partner, it's very possible to get a kill at Level 1 timing this stun properly, as there is no "Everyone has a Flash" mechanic like LoL. In Lol once you're drained you can just "b" back to base and run back. Not in DOTA, that leads to:

7. No Bluepill

You want to go back to base? I suggest you start walking, or fork over the 135 gold for a Town Scroll. There is no magic bluepill button. Again, this is to force people to be conservative about their skills, because once you're mana drained, you don't really have the time to go back unless you actively forced your opponents to go back as well, or you're so badly beaten up you need to heal. The 135 gold for a scroll seems a bit much (considering it's a one way trip), but again, when it's easy to actually land level 1 kills, gold won't be so much of an issue later on. If you're not health or mana drained, and you just want to buy more items, leave that to....

8. The Courier!

By default a little donkey, the courier will be your best friend. If you're sitting in the lane with 1000 gold and you're like "Gee, I want to buy this awesome item, but I don't want to walk back, and if I buy a scroll I won't have enough gold to get it", then you use the courier. If you buy an item from the shop when you're not near it, it gets put into your "stash". The donkey can then take the item from your stash, and walk over to you to deliver it, meaning you don't have to leave the lane to improve yourself. Valve even put a button directly on the UI for you to do this (you'll find it on the bottom right if your team bought a courier already). The donkey can also be upgrades to have wings. Yes, Donkey with Wings. Deal with it.

9. Proper Names

People notice very few heroes in DOTA2 have actual proper names, and this was done probably more for legal reasons than anything else. In the original DOTA, people usually referred to the heroes by their proper Warcraft 3 names, so Nature's Prophet during the DOTA days was Furion the Prophet. Obviously that wouldn't fly considering the allegations made from Blizzard that Valve was trying to "steal" DOTA for themselves, so all heroes got a new name based on their previous title. You'll notice from time to time that people who played a lot of DOTA won't let old habits die, and will still refer to them as their War3 names.

Holy hell I just wrote a shitload. I could write a lot more but I forget why I even started writing these. Either way I'm fairly excited for the International, because I honestly enjoy watching competitive Dota a LOT more than competitive League. The more varied skills, sillier builds and tactics just seem to be more entertaining.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
The donkey can also be upgrades to have wings. Yes, Donkey with Wings. Deal with it.
NOPE.

Stumpy > All
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old June 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
NOPE.

Stumpy > All
Ok I do admit I love Stumpy. If I had the money to just buy him outright I would already.

I'm personally waiting for someone in the workshop to build a Delorean courier, and when you make him flying it becomes a Back to the Future-esque hovercar.
Old June 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I feel this comic sums up my first couple games quite well (Too big to embed) - http://i.imgur.com/iTLmD.png
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old June 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
I feel this comic sums up my first couple games quite well (Too big to embed) - http://i.imgur.com/iTLmD.png
Heh, yup I'm feeling that pain now too. played 7hrs of it so far, tried to use this guys blog, but I may not have the aptitude for this tpye of game. At least it was/will be free.
Welcome to Dota, You Suck | Purge Gamers
Old June 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It took me about a hundred League games to really figure out what I was doing and to learn the mechanics. DOTA is a lot harder, both with the sheer amount of characters and the items, plus everybody just facerolling you before you even see them. It really does take time and effort to learn these games.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old June 30, 2012, 09:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I probably have at least 1000 hours put into Dota1. I pretty much played it exclusively and yes there is a larger learning curve. The game is best played once you understand the mechanics, then you can start learning team related strategies such as pushing and ganking. I recommend learning 1 str, 1 agil, and 1 intel hero so you can understand the pros and cons of each. Communication is KEY. You have to know the map and where your enemies are. You have to learn to change tactics on the fly and when to abort and escape. Players get smarter so the same strategy may not work ie, you stupid gank at the secret shop may work once, but they'll be checking the lanes on the map to make sure enemies aren't lurking around. Someone has to buy WARDS. They will prevent you from being ganked and allow you to scout ahead.
Old June 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like Dota 2 but it really isn't good enough to make it worth playing over LoL which has a much better UI.