Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2011, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Biggest Eve Online Scam Ever, breaking 1 trillion in-game currency

I'm not really surprised that how many people actually got scammed in game due to the number of people whom get scammed daily in real life with the same kind of pyramid and other schemes

One of the Biggest Scams in Eve History – Ponzi Scheme Empties Over 1 Trillion Isk From Player’s Wallets.
Old August 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Without knowing anything about EVE's economy, I still can't understand how people could fall for this.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Without knowing anything about EVE's economy, I still can't understand how people could fall for this.
People were probably curious and decided to try it with a small amount of money that they didn't mind losing. Once the early adopters really did start seeing gains from it, they gradually increase the amount that they "invest." Add a little word of mouth and the scam grows exponentially. The early adopters still make a little money, but the latecomers just get scammed. Keep in mind it would take 20 weeks to break even.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

However, if you were in the scheme until just before it collapsed/shut down, you got your money back and kept all the interest. That's how a number of Bernie Madoff's clients are now facing lawsuits, alleging they knew it was a Ponzi scheme because they made their money and got out in time.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
People were probably curious and decided to try it with a small amount of money that they didn't mind losing. Once the early adopters really did start seeing gains from it, they gradually increase the amount that they "invest." Add a little word of mouth and the scam grows exponentially. The early adopters still make a little money, but the latecomers just get scammed. Keep in mind it would take 20 weeks to break even.
I just meant in terms of other MMO's this is a fairly obvious scam. Though I could see people putting in a small amount out of curiosity.