Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2011, 06:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Crysis 2 always crashes after intro

It seems that Crysis 2 is always crashing right after the intro play, at the same point as well, right after the sub passes and you see the rudder.

Now I am running it on ultra settings with patch 1.9, high res texture and on DX11. I've tried it with my 580 3GB in sli at stock (with a fan profile) as well as with them overclocked (and stable) and both times Crysis 2 and then Windows will crash to essentially a black screen with the monitors switching from having a signal to no signal. The computer however will not restart and is unresponsive.

I want to note that the cards are not overheating as they exceed the temperatures Crysis 2 puts them at when I've burn tests them at stock and overclocked settings

So far out of the 3 games I've tested so far with these new 580s, Crysis 2 is the only one causing this to happen. The other two games, Borderlands at 1920 x 1080, and The Witcher 2 on Ultra at 6000 x 1080 (bezel corrected), do not seem to cause this to happen on either stock or overclocked settings.

I am also running my i7 940 overclocked to just under 4GHz, however this has been stable in the past with no issues (passing several overclocking tests in the past, aka a month ago). Could an unstable to Crysis 2 overclock also be the cause. If so, at what frequency could i run the 940 without it causing a bottleneck for the 580 3GBs.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You nailed it with the OC, at least it was for me. With my 2600K @4.6 it would black screen just like you are describing. It was perfectly stable in everything else I had done and tested, but Crysis killed it. So I backed it off down to 4.5 and now I am good. If you want to keep your OC then you could up the voltage as I also did that and got it to run but didn't like the level it needed to be at, so I brought the voltage back and reduced the multiplier one.

So first thing I would try for you is just try to run it without any OC and see how that goes. If everything works then OC to something that is close to what you had it at and hope for the best. I will say Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch and hi-res textures is the only game that pushes the usage to the high nineties on both 580's and to all 8 cores in my 2600k. And yes Witcher 2 runs without issue on either OC, only Crysis 2 did this to my machine, like yours.

Old August 10, 2011, 07:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't really give the cpu any more voltage as i'm running the Vcore at 1.4V already. I was wondering how far back i can pull it so I can play this game and not have the cpu be a potential bottleneck for the game.

I noticed it uses over 2GB of vRam per card according to afterburner before it crashed so crysis 2 is definitely one of those games i'll benefit from having 3gb cards
Old August 10, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, it completely maxes my standard 580's as well. As for the vcore I wouldn't go more than that either. I would try dropping the clock a little bit. Remember it was really only 100MHz difference for mine that allowed it to work. So say drop it by 100MHz increments until you get it to work, something like that anyways. As for the bottle neck with the cards I can't be certain but is that set up really bottlenecking the gpu's? I guess it would be better for Sky to answer that, but I would think that a little drop of a few hundred megahertz shouldn't adversely affect it, but I could be wrong.