Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2008, 10:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Patriote,

Beautiful screenshots, the lighting effects really add to the eye candy. What settings do you have the game set at when you are playing? (medium, high) and what kind of frame rates are you seeing with your setup?
Old February 12, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

All on Very High, 4x AA 8x AF 1920x1200

180FPS average inside and 130FPS average inside.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old February 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I think when I build my rig I may have to install a dual boot Vista/XP and try Far Cry again.
Old February 13, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
I think when I build my rig I may have to install a dual boot Vista/XP and try Far Cry again.
Do you mean you want to install Vista to run Farcry or you want to install XP to run Farcry? Cuz you can run it on either so you don't need to dual boot just for Farcry.

But yes you need to play it again!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm stuck on the part where you flood a large dome will water and swim through the vent in the ceiling. The game's on maximum difficulty and I keep getting killed in a narrow hallway by some gigantic dude with a rocket launcher as an arm.

To me, this game might be as scary as Alien versus Predator 2 since you'll die from one leap attack by an enemy.
Old February 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You just have to give that guy EVERYTHING you got and avoid his rockets. I know easier said than done.

Start with your most powerful gun like a rocket launcher if you have one and get as many hits on him as soon as he comes around the corner keeping your distance. Then switch to your shotgun getting in kinda close (but not too close) avoiding his rockets and strafing around him while pumping him full of lead. Took me a few tries but that's how I did it. Although I was only on Medium difficulty at the time.

Edit: oh and aim for the head with your shotgun.

Edit 2: oh and you think this game is scary... I am playing Doom 3 for the 1st time and it is a lot scarier. FEAR was pretty scary at times too. I like playing them right before bed. I actually catch myself leaning way back in my chair going through doorways and creeping around corners, it's awesome!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So you totally inspired me to play FarCry again. But like you I wanted something more so I found the farcry_x64ecu_for_x32os.exe which is essentially the 64bit patch made for 32bit OS. I also tweaked out the HDR and looky looky... Me is pretty happy with the results :)

Took me a while to get it to work though, turns out it was FSAA. FSAA + HDR together are supposedly supported with 8*** Nvidia cards but not for me? And at times I thought AA was disabled but when I restarted the game it would be enabled again. So I had a hell of a time getting this to work. I finally got it to cooperate by setting the game to all medium settings and turning off AA. Then restart the game and set everything back to Very High. Then I used Systemcfgoverride.cfg to add the HDR and finally voila!

Farcry Before

Farcry After

Other Screens

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 16, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That bottom pic really looks like that lagoon with the radar thingy you have to knock out early on in Crysis- (where you see the first patrol boat)
Old March 17, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok had to share more FC screens.

Using developer mode, here I am in in 1st and 3rd person from exactly the same spot. I don't recommend getting into any fire fights in 3rd person though. There is no reticule and aiming was pretty hard for me, I didn't last long. I think I'll stick to 1st person most of the time.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Far Cry

Looks great, have played the same way myself. You should have chosen cool under the shading effects, gives it a much more realistic look instead of a shiny, colourful cartoon.