Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 12:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleal View Post
What does it matter? Everybody is going nuts over this but honestly what does it even matter. I mean, if you're going to be buying and selling items for CASH, why wouldnt the game have the right to skim say a 5% fee. I feel that's completely reasonable. It's their game, let them charge what they want. If you don't agree with their system, don't play or don't partake in their online marketplace.

As for requiring an internet connection to play, too bad so sad. Do you not realize why you'd need an internet connection? To authenticate and remove all the bs characters and cracked copies. If you're too cheap to pay 60 bucks for a game when your computer cost >400 ON THE LOW END, you make me laugh. Its like people who buy BMW's Audi's and Mercedes' but cry when they have to take their car in for service. Buy a Daewoo if you can't afford it or take the bus.

That worked out really well for WoW.....
A game so riddled with bots and mods and cracked accounts and characters. Why? Because Gold makes Money for people in the real world.
So bad they had to add authenticators for sale to protect your account (Can we say Profit for the apps and keychains). And even then those still get hacked.

They are now adding a Real World Money Marketplace to D3 and you Don't think this is going to be a problem with online only? I would RATHER play this game single Player only if possible Due to these circumstances alone.
This is going to be one bad idea for a game platform.

Please try and be more realistic before you go off on a tangent.
Good metaphor, bad usage, bad research.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; August 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old August 2, 2011, 12:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleal View Post
What does it matter? Everybody is going nuts over this but honestly what does it even matter. I mean, if you're going to be buying and selling items for CASH, why wouldnt the game have the right to skim say a 5% fee. I feel that's completely reasonable. It's their game, let them charge what they want. If you don't agree with their system, don't play or don't partake in their online marketplace.

As for requiring an internet connection to play, too bad so sad. Do you not realize why you'd need an internet connection? To authenticate and remove all the bs characters and cracked copies. If you're too cheap to pay 60 bucks for a game when your computer cost >400 ON THE LOW END, you make me laugh. Its like people who buy BMW's Audi's and Mercedes' but cry when they have to take their car in for service. Buy a Daewoo if you can't afford it or take the bus.
I'm not too cheap to pay the money, I just disagree with paying 60 bucks for a game and then being told I can't play my property whenever I want, internet connection or otherwise.

Sins of a Solar Empire is the gold standard for me. I bought a retail box of the original, and the entrenchment expansion online. After I wiped my harddrive to get rid of a virus, I simply downloaded impulse and it copied the original and expansion right back to my hardrive. This was nice because I didn't have to fish out the disk. Then when I moved to the provincial park w/ no internet, I just click my desktop icon and the game launches instantly. Maximum convieniance, no bullshit, and they got paid real money. Win win.
Old August 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If having to be connected, to the internet, is a deal breaker for you ... you must not have been really interested in Diablo 3 in the first place.

By the way ... when you pay for a game it does not become your property. You are actually paying for a license to play the game.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Initially, I was a bit PO'd at this, but then I thought back to how I played DII, and realised that it wouldn't change my gameplay at all. I'd already been playing "single player" on battlenet in order to take advantage of my second account for muling.

I'm alot more concerned that DIII battlenet remain subscription free, and that they don't rely too heavily on the DLC model.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 2, 2011, 03:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Interesting point raised on the WoW forums regarding the removal of LAN and single-player options -- deployed service members. Target market for these games is identical to the demographics of the deployed military.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draax View Post
If having to be connected, to the internet, is a deal breaker for you ... you must not have been really interested in Diablo 3 in the first place.

By the way ... when you pay for a game it does not become your property. You are actually paying for a license to play the game.
I was commenting on the trend in general, and I remember back in the day when you could buy a game and then sell it to someone else as a used game. Just let me live in the past and refuse to get with the program, man.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Buy the game, use a hacked .exe.

Still, the principle of it sucks and I don't agree with it.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
I didn't see anything about what Blizzard's take on this would be in any of the articles I read. For some reason, none ofthe people asking the questions in the interviews seemed to ask that question. You can bet they will be taking some "commission" for this.
There are no specifics mentioned, but they will charge a flat rate to list your item. There will be also a flat rate charged on the sale. However the did mention that you will get a certain amount of listings per week.

No mod support does suck, but I never played a mod for D2 so it wouldn't bother me.

While I do agree that they seem to be going backwards in many ways, nothing they have done would affect my decision to get it or not.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never played D2 online, nor have I ever had any desire to. Sure, a couple LAN games here and there with family but that was it for multi.

I am not really interested in Diablo 3 either way though.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I was commenting on the trend in general, and I remember back in the day when you could buy a game and then sell it to someone else as a used game. Just let me live in the past and refuse to get with the program, man.
Exactly...

The problem with the need for a constant internet connection is for those of us in rural / remote areas. IE: When you're stuck in an oilfield camp for months on end with little/no internet connection and no 3g/4g coverage to tether your phone or use an aircard. Also, I know for myself I have no internet at the cabin, and if the weather is bad sometimes I play games on my laptop.

Just sucks to see games trending this way.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011