Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 04:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Guess it depends on how the always online thing works, but I honestly don't see what the big issue is. There are plenty of games that require a constant connection and no one bitches about those. I didn't read the article, but does this mean you can sell items "legally" through Blizzard for actual cash. Or is it blizzard putting up items people can bid on?

Being connected to authenticate doesn't really bother me that much, as long as there is the oppurtunity to play some sort of single player. I personally don't play alot of multi player. Not really getting a clear picture yet on how that is going to work.

As for the auction house thing it looks like players will be able to put items for sale to other players for real cash. Not really sure how that is going to work out. I can see people trying to charge steep prices for items. Worse yet, there will be people out there who will pay those prices.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 2, 2011, 04:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Its sad but at the same time Blizzard is trying to cut out the middleman that were those sites whom sold "epic gear" online to people for real cash, and to avoid gold farmers whom people buy gold from in WoW to stream line it directly into Blizzard's pockets instead.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well let's face it, you won't be able to get rid of those who will spend money to get ahead. My as well cash in on it.

I can imagine at the start there being lots of junk on the cash AH with little or nothing on the in game gold AH.

Does it say anywhere what Blizzard's cut will be for the real money AH? I don't recall seeing it in the article linked earlier.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't see anything about what Blizzard's take on this would be in any of the articles I read. For some reason, none ofthe people asking the questions in the interviews seemed to ask that question. You can bet they will be taking some "commission" for this.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
MVP

This trend disappoints me. For example, I spent this summer up north working in a provincial park. It is somewhat isolated, no internet connection. I stocked up with steam sales on single player, story focused games, and I am enjoying them quite a bit. If I tried to play them and it spat out a message saying "sorry, this single player only game requires the internet" I would be pretty ticked.
Old August 2, 2011, 11:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Being connected to authenticate doesn't really bother me that much, as long as there is the oppurtunity to play some sort of single player. I personally don't play alot of multi player. Not really getting a clear picture yet on how that is going to work.

As for the auction house thing it looks like players will be able to put items for sale to other players for real cash. Not really sure how that is going to work out. I can see people trying to charge steep prices for items. Worse yet, there will be people out there who will pay those prices.

I suspect that will be much as it was in Diablo II, as well; you would just play on Battlenet with a passworded game instance that only you know the password to--that way no one else can join. Yet when you want to play with your friends, you can use the same character and send them the password, or join an open game.
Old August 2, 2011, 11:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Another license to print money is what blizzard is creating.
And the trend towards online only games is disturbing to me, I rather like being able to play off line in case for whatever reason teh net is knocked out or such...

Mind you that being said, my cousins and I are already poised to make a fortune off this muahahahah!!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 2, 2011, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What does it matter? Everybody is going nuts over this but honestly what does it even matter. I mean, if you're going to be buying and selling items for CASH, why wouldnt the game have the right to skim say a 5% fee. I feel that's completely reasonable. It's their game, let them charge what they want. If you don't agree with their system, don't play or don't partake in their online marketplace.

As for requiring an internet connection to play, too bad so sad. Do you not realize why you'd need an internet connection? To authenticate and remove all the bs characters and cracked copies. If you're too cheap to pay 60 bucks for a game when your computer cost >400 ON THE LOW END, you make me laugh. Its like people who buy BMW's Audi's and Mercedes' but cry when they have to take their car in for service. Buy a Daewoo if you can't afford it or take the bus.
Old August 2, 2011, 11:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah right, like this is going to stop pirates. I epxect a crack to be out within 72hrs (at the MOST) for SP. Theres no need for always on DRM for SP. Never has been never will be. This is a power and money grab plain and simple. On the postive side, one less game for me to waste my money on as I will be boycotting it...until its free of such BS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 2, 2011, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Now we can add absolutely no kind of mods allowed in D3 either to the fun growing list.

Diablo III Mods Are Forbidden, Banned, Not Allowed

So... who else is now looking forward more so to Torghlight 2?