Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Has Steam downloading (updates) been slow for you today?

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm wondering if Steam has been slow at all for you between 16:00 and 22:00 EST. The problem seems resolved for me now, but I'm trying to find out if it's my disconnecting of my router from my Internet connection chain fixed my Internet connection or if it was a coincidence that Steam went back up after I bypassed my router. In cases like this I normally just blame the router and poke / replace it, but what's odd is that normal browsing worked fine for me.

When I tried launch my Steam client, it had to install updates. In downloading the update, the progress bar would slow down to halt at some random percentage, between 5% and 36%. Thinking it was the Steam client, I uninstalled everything Steam and reinstalled, but then I got a message at the last stage of the install "failed to poke open firewall".
My Comodo firewall was indeed letting Steam through, and I monitored the download rate of the update through the firewall. I saw that while trying to update, the download speed started at around 1.5 MB/s but then tapered off to something in the ~500 bytes per second after about 30 seconds. Other Internet sites worked fine for me.

My computer is connected rather strangely to the Internet since I'm trying to use up hardware lying around

Computer ->
6 foot Cat5 Cable ->
DLINK DIR625 with DHCP and wifi disabled acting as a 10/100 switch ->
75 foot Cat6 Cable ->
Linksys WRT610N with DHCP enabled ->
3 foot Cat5 cable ->
UPS (RJ45 surge protect) ->
3 foot Cat5 cable ->
Rogers Cable Modem ->
Coax line the tech installed when he installed my Internet service

Now when I took the 6 foot Cat5 and DIR625 out of the line it didn't work at all. Connecting to the router was painfully slow (>1000ms response times on a what's supposed to be a gigabit link!)

The Steam update worked properly after I bypassed a lot of stuff in the aforementioned chain to have the following only:
Computer -> 75 foot Cat6 Cable -> Rogers Cable Modem -> Coax line

So... was Steam being slow today or do I have home LAN debugging to do?

Thanks!

<goes over to re-introduce router because having a software firewall vs. the Internet is scary>
Old July 29, 2011, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ping your WRT610N, you should be getting below 5ms, if you're getting much larger then some hardware or connections are bad.
Old July 30, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm the ping (and everything else) is OK right now. What I changed is disabling the torrents on my home server and bypassing my DIR625 "switch", although I have a feeling that if I put the whole setup back together it will be fine just to bug me.

...I hate intermittent problems...

Quote:
Three men, a physicist, a engineer and a computer scientist, are
travelling in a car. Suddenly, the car starts to smoke and stops.
The three atonished men try to solve the problem:
- Computer scientist says : What if we get off the car, wait a minute,
and then get in and try again?
Science Jokes:6. THE MATHEMATICIAN, THE PHYSICIST AND THE ENGINEER (AND OTHERS)