Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Steam codes work in origin

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/21/ea...ted-on-origin/

Guess that gives you a bit of a backup source i guess, you know....in case steam goes out of business...snicker....hehe.

Old July 21, 2011, 08:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm well thats good to know, redundancy is always a plus. Going to go home after work today and see if they work for me.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
Allstar

Great concept, haven't tried Origin yet, not too crazy about another client right now.

But the idea of Steam not letting me run something I've paid for legally has crossed my mind again since the summer sale, and still worries me. Recently I click to run something in Steam, and the window pops up to say "Preparing to launch..." and seems to take a few more nervous seconds to do anything, but I wait for the error to come up saying "x is not available right now...". That level of control over my own software really bothers me, and no matter how many times I hear 'patches will be made available to allow offline operation', I still don't enjoy knowing I need to confirm that it's ok with some other system outside my own house if I can run a game on my own pc. I guess the other benefits of Steam have taken hold and made it my biggest library that's for sure.

I suppose I should relax since the interweb is likely here to stay and always will be, but Direct2drive and gamersgate have that advantage over Steam where no constant connection is needed, assuming of course you have that initial access to activate your product but that's usually it (unless it's UBIsoft's or GFWL of course).

This subject has probably been discussed to death, I've just noticed Steam taking longer than usual to launch some programs.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

At least with Dragon Age 2 you did not need to be connected to the internet to launch games from Origins either though that may or may not change in the future who knows
Old July 21, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

hmm, does that in theory mean I could add my DA:O key from Impulse and say the expansion from Steam (I don't actually own the expansion) and they would work?
Old July 21, 2011, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know but it said my standard BC2 key was a Deluxe version over on Origins and I now have Vietnam expac for free
Old July 21, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I don't know but it said my standard BC2 key was a Deluxe version over on Origins and I now have Vietnam expac for free
Hmm, really? Maybe I'll give it a try

Edit: Lol it asks me if it is the regular or digital deluxe. Well BC2 Vietnam for free, can't complain.

Edit 2: Seems like you might need to install it from Origins, as I can't activate vietnam sing my regular bc2 ingame.

Last edited by thorn; July 21, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vietnam was in a patch that everyone had to download. If your key is regular edition it probably won't unlock for you.
Old July 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My key is regular edition, but when you add it to Origin it becomes a digital deluxe edition. Unfortunately I don't care enough about BC2 Vietnam to try and download it through Origin and see if it works.
Old July 21, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is nothing to download. You need a key for Vietnam.