Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2011, 06:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Notice how the B is capitalized, that means Bytes.

I was having issues at times were the server (I switched a few of them) was downloading rather slow and never maxing out my connection (during the sales) and sometimes when i was on fibe op several months ago i'd never hit my connection max speed which was easily obtainable with usenet.
Old July 16, 2011, 08:53 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Yet, Still, the full version of a game is ready to play before the demo you decided to try out first before even buying the game...
Old July 16, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post

I was having issues at times were the server (I switched a few of them) was downloading rather slow and never maxing out my connection (during the sales) and sometimes when i was on fibe op several months ago i'd never hit my connection max speed which was easily obtainable with usenet.
x2, someone thoroughly explained to me the difference of b and B one time. My downloads were going from 0KB/sec up to about 600KB/sec and back down. It seemed to average a few hundred. Granted this was during the evening on a good day of sales.
Old July 16, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I for one am glad to hear this. I also found that over their summer sale my speeds were really slow. They would bounce around a bit but I would say averaged about 200KB/s. I normally would get about 1.5MB/s from them on average.

Of course this comes after I have already grabbed my new games and don't see myself downloading much any time soon.

Old July 16, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Tried downloading a video as they said to test their new server setup and I was actually quite disappointed only got about 400KB/s (bytes hence capital B), normally get 2.5MB/s down from steam. Though durring the sale was lucky if I got the 400 down so I really hope this does improve performance durring the high volume and my downloading the video was restricted by something else.

Last edited by muse108dc; July 16, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old July 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow better download speads from the Seattle server then the Vancouver one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I for one am glad to hear this. I also found that over their summer sale my speeds were really slow. They would bounce around a bit but I would say averaged about 200KB/s. I normally would get about 1.5MB/s from them on average.

Of course this comes after I have already grabbed my new games and don't see myself downloading much any time soon.
Being in iPaine's neck of the woods, in the past, I found that I was getting better download speads from the Seattle server then the Vancouver one, while Toronto and Boston sucked the big hairy pickle. And that was using Telus in the past, and now Shaw.
Old July 16, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the last game I downloaded from Steam was doing 5.4 megabytes/sec
Old July 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just figured I would give the video download a try and really while it was a decent speed, about 1.5MB/s average, it didn't top out my connection.

So in other words, no difference that I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
the last game I downloaded from Steam was doing 5.4 megabytes/sec
Wow 5.4MB/s, what are you running for a connection? You on a 50Mbit/s plan?

Old July 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post

Well some people use MB and Mb for the same thing.

Must say I have some internet envy, I have 7 MBits/sec. Hard to imagine a 9 MByte/sec connection.
Old July 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Yet, Still, the full version of a game is ready to play before the demo you decided to try out first before even buying the game...
Please explain!