Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default New To RPG's

Hey folks, always been a FPS kill em all, high intensity gamer. My son has always tried to get me to give RPG's a go, although other than Borderlands havent taken the dive.

I purchased both The Witcher and Witcher 2 from Steam a week or so ago (on sale both for $30), have been addicted to Witcher 1 since starting it, presently Chapter 2 in The Swamps.

Any and all advice playing, strategies etc would be mucho appreciated, I do find I tend to get a little side tracked and sometimes forgetful keeping all my Primary and Side Quests in line??!!

Anyhow, if anyone here has played through The Witcher 1 would love some feedback.

Old July 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I think that most RPG games all depend on the players choices so I really don't have any suggestions on game play, I really did enjoy the Witcher and have just started to play the Witcher 2 but in order to play the witcher2 I had to uninstall my nvidia3d drivers because the game has some problems.
Old July 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I do find I tend to get a little side tracked and sometimes forgetful keeping all my Primary and Side Quests in line??!!
getting side tracked is what i love about this style game
Old July 11, 2011, 08:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You are going to enjoy spending a lot of hours playing that game, myself I believe I clocked more then 40 hours in one play through (I'm the type to try to do all the side quests before moving on with the main story line, usually helps fill out any balance issues, aka being too weak to go along, as well as fill in extra little info on characters/plots)
Old July 11, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

The Witcher series are great, good for you on starting with #1, I've got them both, and will be playing W2 a second time once patch 1.3 comes out (soon they say).
I've been on a bit of an rpg binge this year: starting with witchers, then Dragon Age Origins, the Fallout NV, and will be starting Deus Ex next month.
Dragon Age Origins is said to be better than DA2, but DAO was pretty good. FO:NV was decent, but I did a speedrun playthrough and liekly only saw 30% of the entire game.
Like they say it's about what each of us likes, but with some sales coming up, it's hard to beat these big rpg's at sale prices.

Keep an eye on Direct2drive on july 18, they're hinting at another Fallout sale on facebook, Direct2Drive | Facebook scroll down to Sunday at 8:25am:
Henricus Vorenus
How about a discount Fallout New Vegas + DLC's? :D

July 5 at 5:35pm Like Comment
    • Direct2Drive Henricus, you may want to check back on 7/18 (*hint, hint)Yesterday at 8:25am
Old July 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'll add the Mass Effect series to the mix of games you should try. They're a GREAT blend of story driven RPG and 3rd person shooter. Perfect for you I'd think. ME2 is far superior, but you shouldn't skip the first as the story is critical. And carrying over your character from game to game is genjous.

Unfirtunately I can't say much about the witcher as its been on my list of games to play for a while. But you the genre will suck you in. I believe it has more to offer than any other genre, and typically has the most depth. Have fun!
Old July 12, 2011, 06:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Dragon Age 1 and 2 would be another great set of games to look into that have a great story line and will keep you engaged for hours. Mass Effect 1 and 2 may be more up your alley as they are sort of a mixture of a first person shooter and an rpg game (again with a phenomenal storyline that'll keep you busy for hours).
Old July 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Having played both Mass Effect (1 & 2) and both Witcher games, I can whole heartedly recommend them. Just like with the Witcher series you can just jump into the second game but you owe yourself to start from the beginning. Since you mentioned that you really are a FPS type then I think Mass Effect will be right up your alley. I know I very much enjoy it and the story telling is just great. Others have mention Dragon Age and I agree with them as the first was a great game, but I haven't gotten to the second one yet.

I would also recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, as they are also action RPGs. So right there I listed what is too me a few hundred hours or so of gaming. Of course I tend to get as much done as I can during a single run through but hey, I love to explore these worlds.

Old July 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

This may sound a little weird, but two of my favorite RPG games were Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG from the SNES. If you feel like a little retro RPG'ing, I'd suggest you check those out.
Old July 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Having played both Mass Effect (1 & 2) and both Witcher games, I can whole heartedly recommend them. Just like with the Witcher series you can just jump into the second game but you owe yourself to start from the beginning. Since you mentioned that you really are a FPS type then I think Mass Effect will be right up your alley. I know I very much enjoy it and the story telling is just great. Others have mention Dragon Age and I agree with them as the first was a great game, but I haven't gotten to the second one yet.

I would also recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, as they are also action RPGs. So right there I listed what is too me a few hundred hours or so of gaming. Of course I tend to get as much done as I can during a single run through but hey, I love to explore these worlds.
I can't really recommend Fallout 3 or especially New Vegas as I found the games get rather boring rather quickly with the overly open universe. Those new to RPGs may not like this "go do whatever you want, figure out how to get from a to b to c that is Fallout 3 and NV.