Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2011, 07:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bioware Communities Accounts Hacked

Hey All,

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the "News" section, but anyway... Check out this link from Kotaku: BioWare Hacked, 18,000 Accounts Compromised

I checked my email this morning and got this:

"Yesterday (June 14), we learned that a hacker gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare community server system associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers' data and launched an ongoing evaluation of the seriousness of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. However, hackers may have obtained your user account name and password, email address, country and date of birth, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account. As a result, we have changed your password to ensure account security. Please visit this https://www.ea.com/ca/blablabla [not the actual URL] to reset your password immediately.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on the Neverwinter Nights forums are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-866-543-5435.

If you have questions, please visit our FAQ at Answer or contact Customer Support at the phone number above.

If your link has expired, click here to generate a new email.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts"

Looks like another in the long list recent hacks...
Old June 16, 2011, 07:55 AM
Banned

With all those hacking, i'm happy to pay with Paypal on Steam, PAYPAL , what if they are the next one.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I never got any type of email stating this at all yesterday or today.

Changed my password anyways now
Old June 16, 2011, 08:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanboy View Post
With all those hacking, i'm happy to pay with Paypal on Steam, PAYPAL , what if they are the next one.
I think it's only a matter of time before Paypal gets (h)it.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Paypal has been hack before, by Anon wasn't it?
Old June 17, 2011, 09:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
I think it's only a matter of time before Paypal gets (h)it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Paypal has been hack before, by Anon wasn't it?
Facebook, Paypal accounts released by hackers - Prince Edward Island - CBC News
Old June 17, 2011, 10:49 AM
MVP

It may seem strange, but in a way, Lulzsec is doing a great public service. It's been long discussed in IT circles that the vast majority of sites do not publicly disclose security breaches resulting in a false sense of security online.

Lulzsec isn't doing anything that wasn't already happening before. It's just that the people doing it profit more by selling and exploiting the collected data instead of publicizing it. In fact, they'd rather we didn't know.

The main problem is that IT development from silicon to high level code has an emphasis on features and rapid deployment at the cost of security. Even Intel's chipset hypervisors have been exploited. The most thorough emphasis we see in security is DRM -- at a ridiculous cost to consumers via inflated hardware specs for media players to play DVD and Bluray content; our PC performance suffers in different ways because of DRM too.

Anyway, just because Paypal account credentials were released doesn't mean Paypal was compromised. Surely it has been many times over the years, but not necessarily in this case. The credentials released by Lulzsec may have been collected from compromised personal computers.

While it's not directly related to website security, a lot of the following article is relevant:

Schneier on Security: Debating Full Disclosure

I'm waiting for the day our personally identifiable search histories Google keeps in a database for years are exposed or leaked. That will be embarrassing for a lot of people or perhaps a targeted public figure. But who cares about privacy, right?