Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2011, 08:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Angry More like Duke Nukem Neverever.

Seriously, once the novelty of actually "playing" Duke Nukem Forever wore off, I realised how much I wasn't actually enjoying the game. At all.

The graphics are terrible. I don't care if the game has been in development for n^x years, I have seen games from 5 years ago with better graphics, and Gearbox could've actually taken the time to redo the 3D models and release it next year, as opposed to polishing what they got.

The jokes fall flat. It's like the first time someone says poop, and it's like "HAHA, YOU SAID POOP". and then they proceed to say it 40 times over. It stops being funny. Duke stops being funny, really fast. It tries SO HARD to be vulgar and obscene that you eventually just ask "Why Duke? Why would you say that?"

Duke Nukem 3D had better gameplay. A pseudo3D FPS from the late 90s has better gameplay than this game.

Linear as hell.

Short as hell.

Gearbox should have just let the game die, or at least spent another 6 months to a year fixing it.

No, not fixing it. They should've just thrown out EVERYTHING that had been done on the game, and started completely from scratch. Because that is the ONLY way this game could have been salvaged.

Anyone who tries to argue with me saying that i just didn't "get the jokes" or that I'm "taking it too seriously", that doesn't solve the issue that the game ITSELF is still a piece of crap.

Seriously, who here actually has enjoyed playing the FULL game, not just the demo?
Old June 14, 2011, 08:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That bad, eh? I have it preloaded so we'll see...
Old June 14, 2011, 08:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Let's just say time didn't treat Duke well.
Old June 14, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Perhaps you were expecting far to much?

I haven't played neither yet.. But I'll let others chime in.
Old June 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I was expecting like... maybe a 6/10. That was my standard right there.

EVEN if I ignore the sex jokes (which can be amusing at times), the toilet humor (both figuratively and literally), and the shock humor (which 90% of the game is), the core game itself is still a watered down FPS that just doesn't hold up to shooters that came out years ago.

Edit: Difference between regular shock humor and Duke shock humor:

Regular shock humor is the idea of doing something outrageous enough that the sheer idea of the insanity is funny.

Duke Nukem accomplishes this by showing you your two "lady friends" who got impregnated by aliens (possibly consensual), and your only two options are either A. Kill the two girls and their unborn alien babies , or B. Wait a few seconds and the girls explode from having alien babies inside of them. Right before they explode, Duke just "shrugs" and says something along the lines of "well, you're ******".

That's supposed to be funny.

Where is the funny in that.

Last edited by Jebusman; June 14, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old June 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I did cancel my pre-order when I heard the reviews and saw the price dropping precipitously even before the game came out. But at $28.49 I'll give it a try anyway (Jebusman's 3 x sweeriously review not withstanding).
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old June 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

For the length of the game and the actual gameplay itself, I could see this being a $20 throwaway buy, just buy it for the hell of it.

But for full retail price, no.

And I feel bad for the people who bought it for consoles. I hear it's an even bigger mess there.
Old June 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't get why people are so disappointed with this game.
It really isn't that bad, it's simply, stupid humour and fun, which is what Duke is known for.
The graphics aren't bad at all, sure, they look cartoony, but they're supposed to. It's also super fast paced which I thought was a nice difference from all of today's shooters.
I'm basing all this on the demo, but I do have the full version preloaded, so I'll try it out tonight.
Old June 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Expected a disappointment. I wasn't buying it before, and definitely won't be buying it now.
Old June 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
I don't get why people are so disappointed with this game.
It really isn't that bad, it's simply, stupid humour and fun, which is what Duke is known for.
The graphics aren't bad at all, sure, they look cartoony, but they're supposed to. It's also super fast paced which I thought was a nice difference from all of today's shooters.
I'm basing all this on the demo, but I do have the full version preloaded, so I'll try it out tonight.
There's so much time you spend NOT shooting a gun I thought I was going to fall asleep.

The demo really does not do the full game justice, and not in a good way either.

Oh, and just fyi, Duke Nukem was never known for stupid humor and fun, it was known because it was a good game that HAD stupid humor and fun IN IT.

Duke Nukem Forever shoves the sex jokes down your throat (see what I did there).